Thursday, August 23, 2007

On baby poop

As any new parent can tell you, poop takes on a whole new dimension when you have a baby. Every thing about it is important: the color, the consistency, the frequency, the amount. Many people told me this, but I did not truly understand until Oscar was actually here. The first BM, meconium, is a very exciting moment, because it means the bowels are working properly. This is the sticky, black, tar-like substance you've all heard of, and there are usually a few of them before the real stuff starts.


Once you've gotten the meconium, you are waiting for the "real" poop, especially if your baby is breastfed, because counting stools and wet diapers is how you know if your baby is getting enough milk. So that first mustardy yellow poop is also something to be celebrated (yay, he's eating!), and every poop after that has to be counted for the first two weeks, or until your baby is back up to birth weight. Parenthood is exciting stuff, I know.


When Oscar was a wee one (more wee than his is now) he used to poop every time he breastfed! That's a lot of dirty diapers. Now that he's well settled into his third month of life, he poops much less frequently, like maybe every 3 or 4 days. When Nelson gets home from work, one of the first things he ask is "Did Oscar poop today?" Like I said, exciting stuff.

Yesterday, I was trying to take a photo of Oscar in his very cute "My Grandma Loves Me" outfit to show his Gigi, and he started pooping! Baby really strain and grunt to get their poop out, so it is pretty obvious when it is happening. So, the first photo is Oscar in mid-poop and the second is just after he finished, which is always a particularly joyous moment for him. Yep, I'm really posting pictures of my baby pooping. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ahhhh....the wonderful miracle of a baby's first BM!! You know, I have to admit, I learned something new today. I was a young mother and when Trinity's pediatrician told me to record her wet diapers and BMs, I never questioned why. Now I know why! Wow...part of me wants to go back and experiance it all again because there is so much that I know now that I didn't know then. Thanks to you, Oscar, I can enjoy this experiance without the late night visits to the bathroom.

Susanica said...

Now you know that Oscarelli is going to KILL you when he is about 12 right? ;-) -Monica (and Su and Danny)

Jenni said...

Oh, I know it, and I'm sure the poopy photos will just be the tip of the iceberg!

Pamela said...

OmiGod. He is adorable!

jessica Phillips said...

now i feel even more special that he pooped on me!