Monday, September 3, 2007

Baby Drama

It happened. Our first ever baby injury. At a friend's house this weekend, Oscar was scratched in the head by their cat.

I was changing Oscar's diaper on the couch, and he was crying. Veloceraptor style. The cat peeked around the corner of the couch and retreated. Then, before I knew it, he was back and hissing and going straight for Oscar's head. His little eyes got so big, and I screamed - the cat ran away. I screamed again when I saw the blood and grabbed him into my arms.

Nelson cleaned the scratches (five of them, on about a half inch from his eye), and I rocked him and nursed him and Oscar was back to his smiling cooing self in a half an hour. We called the pediatrician and they prescribed Oscar some antibiotics to prevent infection, which we picked up this morning. FYI - apparently cat bites are much worse than cat scratches.

Accident over, baby safe, I could not help but feel like I should have been more vigilant in protecting my baby. I was up half the night riddled with guilt (Oscar, as the saying goes, slept like a baby.) I have never been more distressed in my life than when I saw my baby bleeding and heard him crying in pain - it was like a physical ache in my chest. I wish that I could absorb every hurt he's ever going to feel. I'd take that cat scratch for him in a minute. And all the scrapes, bumps and bruises he will undoubtedly experience through out his life. I'll even take the heartache.

But, I know that growing up isn't easy and that these experiences will help to build his character and make him a stronger person, blah, blah, blah. I hope that I can learn to get over all his boo-boos as well as he has!

1 comment:

Susanica said...

Hi Jenni. Poor, poor Oscar and poor, poor Jenni. How frightening. We were SO glad to hear that the cat didn't hurt Oscar's eye, but can't imagine how scary that must have been. I'm sure the trauma is already forgotten by your beautiful boy but you'll see it in your mind for a long time yet to come huh? We gave you a call yesterday and will try you again tonight. Sounds like you took care of everything exactly right. -Monica and Susanne