Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Battle of the Nap continues!

Still refusing to nap, we've moved on to a new method: cry-it-out, or CIO. And it is awful. I've always said I would NEVER let Oscar just cry himself to sleep. I've always thought that CIO was mean and sad and heartbreaking. And I still kind of feel that way, but nothing else was working and I really have been feeling like I'm at the end of my rope.

The friend we visited with on Thursday's 15-month-old was a problem sleeper and she ended up using CIO. So, when he's clearly drowsy (thumb sucking, red eyed), I've been putting him down in his crib with his counterpiller (a stuffed caterpillar with numbers on his feet) and leaving him. I shut the door and turn the monitor on, but all the way down so I can that he's crying, but not hear it. I've decided 30 minutes of crying is my limit, so if he cries for that long, I just go and get him. But, we've CIO for naps three days running and only once have had to go get him. And, he's crying less each time I put him down. And, he's sleeping for more than 10 minutes at a time. He's still not napping like he should, but it is getting better. We're going to stick with this routine for at least another week and see how it goes. Wish us sweet dreams!

3 comments:

Nelson said...

Mole!

Nelson said...

Mole!

Stephanie said...

Well I have to agree...I was never a fan of the CIO. It unfortunately never lasted with me and still to this day it doesn't work. Remind you Trinity is nearly 8 now. The best thing we could do when she was Oscars age was take her outside in the fresh air and walk her around till she dozed off. She was a spring baby, so it worked for us. My heart is with you and Nelson during these times, but you two are amazing parents and Oscar is lucky to have you.