Thursday, November 1, 2007

In memory


Late last week my grandfather passed away, just shy of his 80th birthday. His health had been failing for several years and I had not seen him in quite some time, but I was none the less heartbroken to loose my Nono. We lived close by and saw him quite a bit when I was younger, so I have some pretty good memories of him, mostly of him holding me and giving me all enveloping hugs. He was a big guy (about 6ft and over 300lbs), so that is a hug you remember. I feel lucky that I will be able to carry his love and his memory with me.

However, as in many families, sadness drew everyone together in love and support. It was nice to see all of my uncles and my cousins in one place. It is funny how much all of us look alike, and how Oscar looks nothing like any of us (a good thing, according to Oscar's namesake, my Uncle Dom.) Oscar also met his relatives, including his own Nono (my dad) for the first time, which was very special and long overdue. I don't think I've ever seen my dad so smitten as he was with his grandson, and as Oscar's smiles and squeals attested, I think the feeling was mutual.

No comments: