Friday, December 7, 2007

An owie to one is an owie to all

Oscar is on strike. A napping strike. I can get him to go down, but only for 30 or 40 minutes at a time (sometimes less) and if I'm really lucky he'll do an hour, hour and a half (but then no other naps all day). The kid just isn't getting enough rest. A baby Oscar's age needs 14-15 hours a day, and Oscar is getting around 12. Not getting enough sleep is causing him to be overtired by bedtime (7pm) and when he's overtired it is immensely difficult to get him to sleep. I know this sounds counter intuitive, but ask any parent - an overtired kid is bedtime's worst enemy. I find this problem particularly frustrating because Oscar has always been great about going to bed at night. I've got to find a way to end the strike.

My last job was at a union advocacy organization, and I am a former union member (WBNG). I was actually the shop steward and I was on the bargaining committee, so I know a little bit about contract negotiations. Usually, workers make contract demands, employers refuse to meet these demands, workers go out on strike until the dispute is settled (okay, it is a little more involved than that, but I'm just giving you the gist here). Unfortunately, in this situation, I'm management (boo!) and I've never bargained from this side of the table before. But I am totally willing to negotiate. I figure Oscar must have some demands, but since he can't talk I need to figure out what they are some other way. What do babies want?

More diaper changes!
More breast milk!
Less peas!
More rattles!
More tickles!
Fewer baths!

Oscar, you win! I give in to all of your demands, just please, please, take a real nap! My little guy is fighting the power, so technically I couldn't be more proud of him. I just wish the power wasn't me.

1 comment:

Susanica said...

Hi Jenni. This is HYSTERICAL! I'm working from home today and I just read this out loud to Susanne. We are still laughing! I don't know though--Oscar slept beautifully on Sunday morning at his dad's birthday brunch. Just like management to exaggerate I guess. ;-)
-Monica