Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Family Christmas



My husband's tragically awful gift giving is something of a legend in our families. He's given me a battery booster kit for my car, really unfortunate items of clothing, CDs and DVDs that he likes (not me), a photo frame with a picture of him and his best friend, and the list could go on. It was like he was buying gifts for someone he didn't know. It had gotten to the point where I expected my gifts from Nelson to make me laugh hysterically, and I was okay with that. But, about three or four years ago (after a full decade of wretched gifts) Nelson turned a corner. He started giving me beautiful artisan crafted earrings, great books, innovative twists on things I'd asked for (for example: an alarm clock that won awards for it's innovative design). It was like some light went off and he started putting actual thought into my gifts. Each gift is better than the last. I didn't ask for anything this year, so I was completely surprised when I received a portrait sitting with a professional photographer that specializes in parent/child photos. I had been lamenting that there were no good photos of Oscar and I, so my husband deduced that professional photos would be the perfect gift. He was so right and I love him so much.

1 comment:

Susanica said...

What a great gift idea! Good job Nelson. Say...I'm glad to see that you are keeping up with your resolution on posting more frequently. You're almost done with your week's alottment. And I hope our Danny boy isn't giving you too much trouble on this his first day being tended to by "Oscar's mom". Be forwarned--we've told him Cherrios are M&Ms. Wait til he tries the real thing! Cute pics Jenni! -Monica