Monday, February 25, 2008

Don't know what you got till it's gone

Nelson has been in Tampa since yesterday afternoon and doesn't return until tomorrow evening. He usually travels about two to four days a months for work, but this is actually his first trip since Oscar's birth. I have to say, I never realized how much he does around here and how much I really rely on his help. Taking care of a baby is hard work! Big props to all the single parents out there.

On another note, Oscar and I went to brunch at our friends Jane and Chris's house and met their six-month-old son, Gideon. I know Jane from college - she's one of my old feminist cronies. Her little guy is exactly two month's younger than Nelson and gosh darn if he didn't have a serious case of the cutes! Gideon made his debut a full two months early (!!) but you wouldn't even know it to meet him. At six months he's already 16 lbs, which is perfectly within the curve for a baby his age, and he's very cute and social. He was about three and a half pounds when he was born and over six when he left the hospital just after just one month of being in the NICU. And he never even needed oxygen - he just had to wait until his sucking reflex developed.

It was so interesting hearing about Jane's birth experience - it could not have been any more different than mine. She ended up delivering by C-Section after her water broke and contractions started in her 32nd week. Were it not for modern interventions, Gideon may not have made it. And me, I had natural childbirth at home in my 39th week. We both ended up being at the right place for our births, and I feel really grateful that we had the options and access we needed to have our beautiful, healthy baby boys.

No comments: