Thursday, March 6, 2008

The hum drum

I've recently had a few people ask me what I do all day long home with Oscar (and sometimes Danny) and there's was recently a blog post on on of my parenting listservs about what one does with their kids as a stay-at-home-parent.

First, let me just say if you can't figure out what to do with kids all day, being a stay-at-home-parent is probably not the right career path. Yes, it takes some trial and error and getting used to, but anyone who's ever stayed home for an extended period of time with a kid (or two) knows full well there is always something to do.

So, anyway, here's what my routine looks like with the boy, or boys depending on the day:

Anywhere from 3am to 5am - Oscar's first waking; nurse and back to sleep

6am-7am: Wake up, nurse Oscar, get dressed, change Oscar's diaper

7:00am-8:30am: Oscar plays in Jumparoo while I fix his breakfast, my coffee, sometimes my breakfast; Oscar and I eat; I throw in a load of laundry; I puree some baby food I steamed last night and freeze it; throw something in the crockpot; vacuum floor; Danny arrives

8:30am-9:15ish: Diaper changing, floor playing, nursing for Oscar, down for naps

9:30am-10:30am: Nap time; I blog, read blogs, check email

10:30am-noon: Get Oscar dressed; floor play practicing standing and crawling; interactive play with me (tickling, making silly faces and sounds, dancing, etc.) a walk if it's nice and they're in a good mood; Danny's first bottle; loads of diaper changes

Noon-1pm - Boys play in Jumparoo/Exersaucer while I prepare lunch; boys eat lunch

1pm-1:30pm - Floor play and a story; Oscar nurses

1:30pm-2:30pm/3:30pm - Nap time, I do more laundry, load/unload dishwasher, check blogs, read cnn.com

3:30pm-4pm - Danny's second bottle, snack time (floor play if they're up earlier)

4pm-5pm - Walk if it's nice, floor play and a story if it's not

5pm-5:45pm - Singing, Oscar nurses, practicing patty cake, waving, nodding yes and no

5:45pm: Danny goes home; I prepare Oscar's dinner

6pm: Oscar has dinner

6:30pm: Oscar has a bath

6:45pm: Oscar nurses and goes to bed

7pm: Pick up toys, clean off and put away high chairs

7:30pm: Dinner (usually prepared by PJ)

8pm: Dishes (usually done by Nelson, but not always)

8:30pm-10pm: Steam/puree baby food if necessary; fold day's laundry; take out day's trash and recycling (Nelson does this if not the dishes); go through mail; pay bills; call parents; watch TV or read

10pm: Bed

So, that's a day. All times are approximate. On day's when Danny's here, I change between 15 and 20 diapers. Floor play is interspersed with holding and cuddling as necessary - they let me know when they need it. Sometimes they cry and I soothe them. Sometimes they both cry and that's hard. Sometimes I'm on the floor playing with them, and sometimes I'm not, because while stimulation from me is important, it is also really important that they learn to play independently. Also, they go in the Jumparoo/Exersaucer for maybe 30 minutes a day (not including when I prepare lunch), which allows me to eat lunch. And, yes, two babies is twice as much work, BUT they entertain each other which is nice.

Now that it's getting nicer and the boys are older and more mobile, I'm looking forward to playing outdoors, going to play groups and other outings. I'll probably add a morning snack in a couple of months. As I think you can see, I'm at no loss for what to do and my days are hardly boring.

1 comment:

Susanica said...

Hey Jenni! I just got caught up on your last 3 posts. I can't believe how quickly Oscar is growing! Danny is still fitting well in his 9 month sizes but he's probably going to do a big growth spurt on us soon too. I remember when we started packing away his 0-3 and 3-6 sized clothes that it felt sad to do so. Like "really little" Danny was gone now. But then he gives us that big open mouthed laugh and he's still our little baby ;-)
I just wanted you to know that your "hum drum" is SO important to both boys. And now I know where Danny has learned how to clap and wave! Thanks for being so great kiddies! -M