Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Losing an hour, or three


Ah, spring! The season of budding flowers, cool rains, misty mornings. I love spring - I was born in the spring, Oscar was born in the spring (the tail end, anyways.) I love the renewal - birds coming home to roost, the smell of rain and wet soil and fresh mulch. I love the longer days and cooking and eating outdoors.


However, I HATE springing ahead. I always feel so robbed. I've never been a morning person, so losing that hour really hurts. It usually takes me weeks to get over it, but I'm faring much better than usual this time around. It's probably because I'm sleeping less anyways because of my son. We'd settled into a nice routine of him waking once between 3am and 5am and getting up around 6:30am-7am. But now were back to waking three times a night. He sounds really pathetic when he wakes, so we're thinking he's cutting his top two teeth. Oh, Oscar.


Prior to my son's birth, I never, NEVER got up before 7:30am unless there was a morning meeting at work. Now, I'm not much for sleeping in because I feel like I'm wasting the day, but I've just never been able to manage getting out of bed when it's still dark outside. Oscar is an early bird like his Grandaddy, so he's crowing by 6:30am at the very latest. No more sleeping past 7am for mommy.


This has been one of the most difficult transitions of motherhood for me - the early morning. And today, I've come to the realization that my mornings have to get even earlier. As it stands, it is nearly impossible for me to get everything done that needs to get done in a given day. There is no more time at the end of the day - it's just jam-packed. At this point, I'm having trouble finding the time to shower on a semi-regular basis and I can't deal with that anymore. It's not even just a hygiene issue at this point; it's a mental health issue.


I have to find more time. I have to get up before Oscar. I have to get up before 6:30am. I have to get up before 6:00am. I have to rise when it's still dark. I haven't done that since high school, when first period started at 7:15am. I don't know how I'm going to do it. I think I'll just get up 15 minutes earlier every few days until I'm up by 5:45am. That has to be early enough. I just don't think I can do any earlier.

No comments: