Monday, March 3, 2008

Out like a light


I nurse Oscar to sleep for his naps. I've done this pretty much all of the 8.5 months of his life. Sometimes, if he's really tired and just refusing to fall asleep at the breast, I'll put him down awake. He usually cries/fusses for under ten minutes and then falls into a very restful slumber.

I've noticed a trend in the past few weeks. If he falls asleep at the breast, he's awake from his nap in 30 minutes or less and won't go back down. If he falls asleep on his own (after five-ten minutes of crying/fussing) he stays down for an hour or more and wakes much more refreshed. This seems like a clear indicator that he sleeps more fitfully when I let him put himself to sleep.

So, that's that. He sleeps better on his own. Without Mommy's help. Without my help. Without me. On the one hand, I'm so glad he's growing and learning to soothe himself and well on his way to a lifetime of good sleeping habits. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm ready to let go of our nap time ritual even though Oscar obviously is. He's just so little.




1 comment:

Emily said...

What a beautiful mother you are. I honor the yearning you feel in accepting this transition as well as the grace with which you are obviously doing so.

Xoxo,
McCay