Sunday, April 13, 2008

Nine Weeks

I got my hair cut yesterday for the first time in 30 weeks. I hadn't gotten a hair cut since Oscar was three months old. Me, the woman who used to make her appointments 6-8 weeks apart; a woman who was an owner (wearer?) of a $200+ hair style. Color, cut, highlights, waxing - it adds up quickly. Not to mention the expensive designer hair products I could not be without, including shampoo, conditioner, moose, hair paste, hair wax, hair spray. I literally spent thousands of dollars a year on my hair. It really amazes me when I think about it. Now, I go seven months between cuts and wash my hair maybe three times a week.

Now, I won't lie, I miss my old hair. It was short and edgy and spiky. It was glorious. I used to get comments from women on the street and in the subway about how cute my hair was. My hair stylist and I inspired some serious cases of hair envy.

I also miss getting my hair done. It was always two hours of me time. I didn't have to worry about anything but chatting with my stylist and reading People magazine. No one expected anything more from me and it was fantastic.

The days of $200+ hair styles are behind me and I've accepted this. Not only do we no longer have the money to shell out for my outrageous dos, I also don't have the time to maintain them. I'm wearing my natural hair color for the first time in 16 years. But, what I realized yesterday as I got my hair done with no frills, at a much more reasonable price, is that I still need that me time.

I decided to schedule my next appointment in eight weeks.

"June 7. Is that Okay?" Suzanne (stylist extraordinaire) asked.

"Yes. That's one week before Oscar's birthday," I said.

Nine weeks. My baby's going to be one in nine weeks. How did that happen?

No comments: