Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Poop: It's been a while

Once upon a time, I talked about baby poop. You may remember such posts as this, and this, or even this. Lucky for you, we're having some more issues with the poop.

Oscar has a particular method for fighting his naps I call the poop method. Basically, after I put him down, all drowsy and half asleep, he poops himself and commences screaming bloody murder. The reason I think it is a method is that it happens so frequently. Also, sometimes the poops are quite large, but they are just as often quite small and it's clear he was really trying hard to poop, as he know he always gets changed immediately when he's poopy.

You may be thinking there no way a ten-month-old baby "knows" he gets changed when he's poopy and could possibly be smart enough to poop to avoid his naps.

You'd be wrong. A ten-month-old absolutely knows how to manipulate his parents. A five-month-old knows how to manipulate his parents. Really. Did I mention that when I go to get him from his crib he APPLAUDS my appearance? No kidding. "Oh, is that you, Mommy? Yay, Mommy! Yay, Mommy! You're here, you're really here!" Imagine what that feels like - it simultaneously melts your heart and makes you feel like the worst parent ever for not arriving 15 seconds sooner.

Anyway, in the past few weeks, the poop method has fallen out of favor. He's been napping okay. And then, a resurgence of the poop method, but this time, it's at bed time.

So, about an hour after I put him down, Oscar wakes with a soiled diaper. Excuse me, I mean a full to almost overflowing poopy diaper. Awful. Of course he's screaming. Who could sleep like that? And then, when I try to change him, he continues screaming as though I'm jamming a hot poker in his eye. Again, awful.

Oscar hasn't pooped overnight since he was maybe four weeks old, and now we have night pooping again. I'm not sure why but it is absolutely wretched. I feel bad for him, I feel bad for me. It's things like this that remind me just when I think I've gotten the hang of things, that I know what to expect, that we have a routine, Oscar can change it up in a minute.

No comments: