Thursday, April 24, 2008

So there it is


I'm pregnant, about two months by my count, which really isn't so good considering I have no idea when my last period was, and we could not be more thrilled. What I do know is I've missed at least two periods now, had multiple positive pregnancy tests, and am in the throws of first trimester yuckiness: heartburn, ungodly gas, frequent bathroom trips, utter exhaustion, night wakings (not including those caused by Oscar), and Nelson's favorites, wretched crabbiness and short temper. Up to this point, the morning sickness and headaches have only been occasional, but are beginning to happen more frequently. I'm also so hungry I could eat an entire cow, and think chicken tastes and smells like rotting flesh. I'm hoping it was just last night's dinner, but judging by the queasiness I'm experiencing just thinking about chicken, I doubt it.

Cravings thus far: Steak, bloody; fresh salads with cucumbers, ripe tomatoes, Gorgonzola cheese, and a very salty, tangy balsamic vinaigrette; the aforementioned steak atop the aforementioned salad; pizza with tomatoes and garlic; lemons with salt; hot wings. If I could eat only these foods for the rest of my pregnancy, I'd be a happy woman.

As far as wanting a boy or girl, I think I can safely say, I just want a healthy baby but am leaning more toward the boy side. Nelson, too. Although I have a GORGEOUS name picked out for a girl and nothing for a boy. Boy names are just harder.

We were hoping for another home birth, but our insurance does not cover them. I knew this when I chose it, but we didn't anticipate becoming pregnant again so soon. And paying for it ourselves is just not an option with only one income. We'll be attempting delivery at BirthCare's free standing birth center, and I'm okay with that because I love all the midwives there, but a little sad that #2 won't have the honor of being born at home.

Above, our first little home birth baby, playing with Dada in his granddaddy's grassy yard. If #2 is even half as sweet, funny, smart, and adorable as Oscar, we'll have it made.








2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Your cravings are that of a pregnant woman. I mean, lemons with salt?? WHO does that? I'll have to remember the chicken thing so the next time you come over I wont have it anywhere around. How exciting this is. Another season of new babies to expect. ALMOST...makes me want to have another...ALMOST...

Xbox4NappyRash said...

Congratulations!

and if this one is HALF as cute as that picture the internet may just about explode.