Friday, May 23, 2008

Paranoia Strikes Fear

So, I have this stat counter on my page that allows me to see who is visiting my page, where those people are coming from, how often the visit, how many times they load my page, what their IP address is, etc. It's frankly a lot more information than I could possibly know what to do with.

And, truth be told, I know who most of my readers are, either in real life, or via the blogosphere. But, there are a few I don't know and they come to my page a lot. And that's par for the course - I have a public blog, anyone can see it, and I'm fine with that.

Except maybe I'm not. There is someone in particular who's visited my site over 300 times and I have no idea who he/she is. I hope he/she just thinks it's interesting, but I'm a bit worried that it's some weirdo looking at pictures of my kid.

Anxiety and pregnancy go hand in hand and I know this, particularly for someone like me who tends towards anxiety in the first place. But, I have to admit, it's making me question my decision to use my family's real names and my son pictures on my blog.

I'd be interested in hearing some feedback, here. What do you think re: using real names, photos (particularly kid's photos) on blogs? Am I being paranoid or is there real reason for concern?

On a completely different note, I'm getting my two hours tomorrow morning and a couple of my girlfriends are joining me for tea and scandal. Nelson was gallant and apologetic, and even if it was only because I'm a hormonal pregnant woman, I'll take it.

6 comments:

moo said...

I came here from Swistle, if that helps.

As to using aliases ... I use an alias for me and for my husband, PK. Our son's name, Grayson, is his real name. I use pictures of us, so if you know us in real life, we're suddenly not so anonymous anymore.

I feel like you have to do what's right for you. I only know maybe two of my readers in real life, so that definitely colors my perception of things. If my dad were reading, for example, I might have to run to India and hide out for the rest of my natural life.

Xbox4NappyRash said...

You need to think about it a little.

We may be on the other side of the planet but we can just as easy be on the other side of your street.

ANYONE can read this.

I don't use my name, although a lot of people know it and have used it in comments etc, but ET's name and anyone else I keep totally under wraps.

I don't mention any names or exact places.

Aside from all that, you would be surprised how many readers you have that just read, no comments.

Jenni said...

I feel like it would be hard to find us - my last name is unfamiliar to say the least and my family does not share it. It's a tough question though.

Susanica said...

Hi Jenni. I know that you and I chatted about this very question when you first started your blog and I guess I still feel the same way. I never post our last names and even though we clearly live in DC, I never say in which neighborhood. You know that I post lots of pics of Danny--I like especially that my family and friends can keep up with us. I don't really like the idea of invite only blogs because I like the connections blogs offer.

I know there are nutty people every where and so I'll take the precautions listed above and be discreet about many other things (like I just posted about coming back from out of town. I don't broadcast that before the fact.)

Anyway, just my two cents. Oh, I konw Danny (maybe I'll start calling him Denny ;-)is really looking forward to seeing you guys on Monday! Talk to you soon! -Monica

Veronica said...

Maybe they are just a lurker? Does your stat counter tell you where they are from? Like nearby or what?

I use our real names, I post photos of us and our house and actually a girl who lives nearby recognised my house the other day. I was a bit freaked out until I actually realised that hey, she is just another mum visiting me. She rarely comments nowadays though.

Maybe we should host a delurk day and see if we can coax them out of hiding?

Suzi said...

Jenni,
If you have the IP address for the person you can go to this site, put it in and get more detailed info about where they are logging in from.
http://whois.domaintools.com/
HTH-SG