Thursday, May 1, 2008

Trouble *YAWN*


I confessed in an earlier post that I'd been letting Oscar sleep with me in the bed while Nelson was out of town. Well, now he doesn't want to leave. If he wakes, I nurse him and put him back down. And he's up crying an hour later. Ugh.


There are a lot of different things going on here, or that need to be going on here, all to do with sleep training. One is that I need to ween Oscar off of his nighttime feedings. It's just too much on me now that I'm pregnant, and he really doesn't need to nurse at night anymore. I'm not quite sure how to make this happen. I've had some suggestions of putting a sippy cup of water in his crib with him so he can have a drink if he wakes. I guess I'm going to try that.


Another thing is that Oscar is still in the room adjoining ours, and he needs to get out of there. I'm a pretty tough mom, and I can handle hearing him cry it out for 10 or more minutes if I have to, particularly because I know that this method works well for Oscar based on our past experiences. But it is much harder to listen to when he's basically in the same room. We need to move him out. Also, I'm getting up to pee so often, sometimes this wakes him, and moving him out would solve this problem too. Getting him out is actually quite a production that will involve several steps and several weekends, and relies a lot on Nelson being on the ball. I love my husband, but I know him well and I do not have a lot of faith this can happen in a timely manner. We've been talking about moving him for two months and I'm pretty sure it's going to take me melting down to get Nelson progressing on this project. I'm not there yet, so still we wait and still Oscar sleeps in the adjoining room.


We are also dealing with an early night waking issue, I discussed in the previous post. The first two nights it was poop. Last night, he just woke up and started screaming his brains out like he'd pooped, but there was no poop. See, what'd I tell you? He's LEARNED how to cry to get me to come to him. He did this TWICE last night, once an hour before he went down, once two hours before. We're going to have to implement CIO again to get him to stop. Again, I know this works, but it is still painful for all of us.


All of this is compounded by the fact that I'm pregnant and exhausted anyways. Someone, please send the sleep fairy to my house.


Above, my blueberry monster, after a good night's sleep.

No comments: