Thursday, June 26, 2008

You Must be Hoping for a Girl

Whenever folks find out I'm expecting again, one of the first things out of their mouths is "Oh, you must be hoping for a girl."

Hmm. Well, actually, I'm not. I am NOT hoping for a girl. I've said it before and I'll say it again, nothing would make me happier than a whole brood of boys.

Yes, I was certain that Oscar would be a girl. But, when I found out he was a boy, I knew that was just right. Oscar is sweet and loving and cuddly and affectionate and bright and funny and I could never ask for more.

This is is not to say that I'd be disappointed if I have a girl this time. Not at all. In fact, I'm sure I'd be thrilled and filling my virtual Gymboree cart with frilly pink nightmares moments after I'd received the news. Because boys have pirates and dinosaurs and puppies and bugs, but girls have PINK and FRILLS and I love pink and frills.

I mention this now because yesterday I had my 16-week check up (there's a baby in there, it has a heart beat, I've only gained one pound, all is well) and I was given the referral for my ultrasound. I'm hoping to schedule it for July 18, three weeks from tomorrow. Then, we'll know for sure (hopefully.) Right now, the sprout is just a hard not in my abdomen, but in three weeks, it will be someone I've seen, someone I know. I can't wait.

At the end of the day, boy or girl, I know whatever sex this baby turns out to be will be right, it will be perfect. Just like Oscar was perfect. That's just how it goes.

5 comments:

moo said...

I get this all the time too and I'm not even pregnant yet! "Grayson needs a sister!" ... uh, Grayson doesn't really NEED anything, dude. Actually, he doesn't know how good he has it.

I don't know what it is that puts it in people's minds that the "perfect" family has one boy and one girl. Families are perfect the way they are, no matter what the gender ratio is.

Xbox4NappyRash said...

In my bloggy crystal ball I see a boy again for you.
I think you will have 4!

Jenni said...

Agreed, Moo.

XBox - I've ALWAYS wanted four kids (seriously), three boys one girl. But, I'd settle for all boys. You really are psychic.

Xbox4NappyRash said...

I was SO gonna say 3 boys (in a row) and then a girl, same as my sister.
But I thought 4 boys sounded more dramatic!

Stimey said...

I used to get that all the time too. I still get asked, "Are you going to try for the girl?"

No sir.