Monday, July 7, 2008

Confessions of an Addict

I have a confession to make. Do you see that blog roll to the right of my screen? The one I haven't updated for months. Take a quick second to count how many blogs are on that blog roll. I'll be right here.

There are 20 blogs in my blog roll. TWENTY. Is that a lot? I don't really know. It seems like a lot to me. I read each and every one of those blogs each time is it updated, which is on a daily basis for most.

Here's the confession: Those 20 blogs are not the only blogs I read. Oh, no. I read more. I actually read twice as many. Were you to peer into my reader on any given day, I'd say I have a minimum of 25 blog posts to read. It's actually a bit overwhelming. And if I skip a day, whoa nelly. I usually can't catch up and end up skimming and/or skipping many posts by writers I usually love reading.

I add blogs to my reader every week. Maybe I'm reading your blog and read a comment I think is funny, so I check out the commenter's blog. I read a few posts and decided I enjoy it enough to add it to my reader.

I think most bloggers read a lot of blogs. Reading other people's blogs, and commenting on them, is part of blogging - is a way of being an active member of the blogging community. But I'm a bit concerned I'm going overboard.

Here's my issue(s):
1. Should I update my blog roll to reflect all the bloggers I'm reading? I know linking to other bloggers you like is a principle of good blogging, but 40 just seems like too many. But is it too many?
2. I feel like I'm being a bad blog citizen. Since I stepped out of the dark ages a few months ago and began using a reader instead of clicking over to blogs, I comment far less. And I never commented much to begin with. Commenting on other people's blogs is an important part of blogging, and I'm just not doing a very good job. I feel bad.
3. I actually read blogs that I DO NOT like. I think the writers are pompous and full of themselves, but I read anyways, so I can sneer at them (you, know, to myself. Because I'm crazy.)

So, what to do? Should I add all of my daily reads to my blog roll and just accept that I'm a blog addict and get over it? Do I stop adding blogs to my reader and pare down my list? Maybe at least exclude the bloggers I actively dislike? Should I shut up and write a real blog post instead of stressing over such a ridiculous minor issue in my life?*

*I actually do have a real blog post I've been working on for a while, but I've decided to hold on it because it is kind of similar to a recent blog post written by Backpacking Dad (he's smart and funny - check him out) and I don't want to seem like I'm riding on his coattails. I loath riding on coattails.

6 comments:

moo said...

I have ... 109? blogs in my reader. And I try to comment on the ones that tug at me or the ones that I feel I have something to add ... but in NO WAY do I comment on all of them every day ... I just can't.

In my blogroll are people I don't read on a regular basis. Should I cull them then and only make it the ones I think are worthwile reads? I don't know the answer to that.

And I also have a few that I (1) NEVER comment on and (2) don't really enjoy ... yet I can't bring myself to delete them from the reader. That's MESSED UP.

Susanica said...

Hi Jenni. I dunno. I have a "blog favorites" folder in my computer here at work with something like 50 blogs that I don't have links to on my side bar. I just read them and liked them and wanted the option to go back whenever the spirit moved me. I don't get "feeds" so I look at them when I feel like it. Not because I'm getting a "push". That's why I won't have my blackberry buzz whenever I get an e-mail. I'd go nuts. I look at it when I want to (control issues?)

I don't know. Those other blogs are like noshing on sweet stuff that happens to be in the cupboard. Sometimes I comment on them but ususally not. But it's good to know they are there. Just my 3 cents. -M

Stimey said...

I had a similar issue. I ended up putting my blogroll on a different page. But I really need to update it. Ever since I started using a reader, I haven't kept my blogroll updated as well as I used to.

I tend not to remove people from my blogroll, but I add and drop people from my reader with abandon.

motherbumper said...

Oh your three issues seemed incredibly familiar to me - I'm a bad commenter most days and there is no freakin' way I can keep up. Have you seen my blogroll? But I like to link to those I read because everyone loves the linky love, non?

Backpacking Dad said...

But now I want to read what you are going to write.

Seriously, don't ever refrain from posting something just because someone else has done something similar recently. There's lots of space to the left of plagiarism and no one with a brain and a heart is going to give a good god damn if you share your own stuff.

Wait. Was it the "War and Peace" post? Because that was totally my idea and I in no way stole it from Suburban Turmoil I don't care what she says.

:}

Xbox4NappyRash said...

As Backpackingdad said, theres plenty room for stuff!

How about creating a seperate page for your blogroll and you can group them and add as many as you like without this page getting overcrowded?

and I don't follow blog 'rules' anyway.

I comment where I shouldn't, don't where I should, I detest memes, and generally hate bloggers ;0)