Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Love Letter to my Husband

Dear Nelson,

I know that I'm hard on you. I know that I have very high expectations and very high standards that I expect you to meet with little direction and encouragement along the way, and I know that can be difficult and disheartening.

With that in mind, I just wanted to tell you how much I love you, and and that all the little things you do and have done are not unnoticed. You are a remarkable partner, friend, and husband to me, and since I don't tell you often enough, I'm going to tell you now, in this post.

Every weekend, you get up early with the Bean so I can sleep in for an extra hour and a half. I never even have to ask you to, you just do this for me, even though I know you'd also like to sleep in.

You pick up our ransacked living room almost every night so I don't have to drag my pregnant behind and aching back around on the floor retrieving toys.

You take out the trash every day, which I appreciate doubly since becoming pregnant again because the smell is more than I can bear.

You do the dishes after dinner almost every night so I can relax for five minutes, even though you have not relaxed since you walked in the door.

Each night, you bathe Oscar and get him ready for bed. I can hear the two of you laughing and splashing - I know it's the happiest part of both of your days and it warms my heart.

When you used to travel several days a month for work, you always brought me back a pair of earrings, usually made by a local artist and usually made with materials local to the area you were visiting. It was frivolous expense we can no longer afford, but I now have a beautiful collection of unique, handcrafted earrings, each with a story.

You work so hard to support our family and that makes me really proud of you.

On Saturday mornings you care for Oscar so I can go out for brunch with my girlfriends, and you barely complain at all.

You make me laugh every, single day.

Before you leave for work in the morning, you always come back upstairs to kiss me good-bye. You read a study once that said men who kiss their wives before work live longer, happier lives, and that made us both feel good because we already had that kind of life.

You know me.
You listen to me, I mean you really, really listen.

You try really hard.

When I was in labor, you were the best birth partner I could have asked for. Even the midwives where impressed by your awesomeness.

We made the Bean, and the Sprout. This is my favorite thing about you.

It takes my breath away when I think about how much I love you.

I know I don't say it enough, but I love and appreciate you, Nelson. I wouldn't change one thing about you and that is the truth. You are a great husband, and wonderful father, and more than I deserve. I love you.

Love,

Jenni






2 comments:

moo said...

This was so, so sweet. It's easy to forget all the good things when life comes at you so fast.

It sounds like you are one of the lucky ones!

Xbox4NappyRash said...

mmmmmmmmaawwwwwwww.

Sweet.

That's what it's all about!