Friday, August 8, 2008

Phobia Friday: I Ain't Afraid of no Ghosts

So, I'm switching it up. I'm always telling you about all my crazy fears and neurosis, but there are actually quite a lot of things that I'm NOT afraid of that are very common fears for a lot of people.

Let me begin:

1. Flying - It has never scared me, ever. I actually wanted to be a pilot for a long time when I was a kid. I love it. Have you ever flown into Vegas at night? You must. It is a sight to behold.

2. Heights - Not scary at all. I love being high in the air. See above.

3. Ghosts - My mother is convinced that the house we lived in when I was little was haunted, and that I saw ghosts all the time. I'd ask her who they were, "Mom, who's that man over there," and no one would be there (I was a creepy kid.) Because I grew up thinking they were just part of our household, they never scared me, and still don't. I am, however, afraid of monsters, but that's another post.

4. Public Speaking - Are you kidding me? I love the lime light. I played the Cowardly Lion in the school play and was a scene stealing success. Puddem' up, puddem' up!

5. Standing up for Myself - Seriously, you do not want to mess with me. When I was 22 or 23, I had a man GROPE me on the street. Not only did call him an extremely foul name, but I pointed him out to all passers by on the street, and began going after him. So did another good Samaritan, in a car. He ran (we did not catch him), and hopefully, stopped groping women in the street.

6. Terrorism - I worked three blocks from the White House on 9-11 and could see the smoke from the Pentagon before the rest of the world even knew what had happened. I was evacuated. I came back to work several days later to have tanks and MPs with machine guns staring me down on every street corner. It was when I saw the MPs that I decided I was not going to be afraid, because I just couldn't live my life that way. It's pretty liberating.

7. Bad Haircuts - I've had lots of them. Hair always grows back. I'd rather take a risk and have it turn out poorly than live my entire life with the same boring bangs.

8. The Snow - Bring it on! I love, love, love snow. I don't even mind driving in it, although I much prefer playing in it.

9. Change - I do not fear change. Not only do I embrace it, I thrive on it. When I worked outside of the home, I changed jobs ever few years. I love mixing it up. I like going new places and doing new things. Like I said before, who wants to live their life with the same boring bangs?

10. Natural child birth - This is mostly because I've done it before, but I wasn't afraid of it even prior to Oscar's birth. I just told myself that yes, it would hurt, and it was going to hurt far worse than I could ever imagine. But it was not going to hurt more than I could stand. Because women have been giving birth for literally thousands of years and if it was that awful, our species would have stopped procreating long ago.

So, there you have it. Ten things that I'm not at all afraid of. I'm way more brave than you thought, right?

2 comments:

Xbox4NappyRash said...

Thank Buggery for that!
I was close to thinking you were a basket case...


;0)

Mike said...

I'm with you on all of those except natural child birth. The idea of something THAT big passing through something THAT small...well, let's just say I'm glad I'm a man!