Friday, September 12, 2008

Phobia Friday: The Corn Refiners Association

Have you seen these commercials? The first time I saw them, I thought they were a joke. But they are not.

The Corn Refiners Association has actually produced commercial telling people that High Fructose Corn Syrup is "fine in moderation," comparing it to sugar and honey.

What really pisses me off, is the people in the commercials don't know why HFCS is bad for you. Let me enlighten then:

*There is a DIRECT CORRELATION between the rise in obesity in the U.S. and the use of HFCS in our food and beverages. Obesity = BAD.

*Studies indicate that is causes insulin resistance. It also contains certain compounds that are found in elevated quantities in people with diabetes and contributes to foot ulcers and eye and nerve damage. Hello, diabetes? Do I need to tell you why that's bad?

*It's cheaper than sugar, so it's used more often, and not only as a sweetener, but also as a preservative, so you're probably getting more HFCS than you realize. It's hard to moderate something you don't know is there. Seriously, read the ingredients on your salad dressing or ketchup or cereal. It's there and you don't even know it.

*A recent study showed a link between HFCS and liver damage.


So, yeah, I guess in moderation, HFCS isn't any worse than sucrose, but the point is there is no moderation, in the the U.S., Australia, Great Britain, and most other countries. And, these commercials are not advocating moderate consumption so much as they are pretending that HCFS is a perfectly healthy addition to your and your children's diets.

I'm not saying I don't eat the stuff. I was raised on it; I'm likely addicted to it. But, I keep it away from my kid (as well as other sugars) as best I can.

What I am saying, is don't be fooled by these stupid commercials. They are encouraging irresponsible consumerism and an unhealthy lifestyle. Be aware of what you and your family are eating.

And I'm officially off my soap box.

2 comments:

Amy said...

i'm right there with you. isn't there some law against LYING in commercials? there should be.

periperijane said...

Oh I'm glad you wrote about this. i saw this commercial too. It was so bizarre, like, who do you think you're fooling lobbyists and corn industry? Do you all think we're foools? That we'll just believe anything we hear on television??? I'll happily consume your products without the brainwashing, please!!