Tuesday, October 21, 2008

It's Raining Peas! Hallelujah!

Are you ready for yet another story about yet another poor parenting decision? Well, here it is anyways.

Oscar and Danny have not been on the same napping schedule for a few weeks now. Danny still naps in the morning while Oscar now naps in the mid-afternoon. I usually get 30-45 minutes of overlap, if I'm lucky.

It's not ideal, but there are advantages. First, I only have to break out one high chair. Since they are napping at different times, they are also lunching at different times. High chairs are huge and my house is not, so only having one of them cluttering my dining room has been pretty sweet.

Yesterday, Danny ate first. Oscar was rudely awakened two hours early from his nap by a barking dog (or by me yelling at the dog for barking and potentially waking the baby), so he was ready to eat right afterwards. Only he didn't want to eat in the chair. He wanted to play in the living room with his pal Danny.

I've said before, I don't have a lot of patience these days so I decided he could just eat picnic style in the living room. Except that one-year-olds don't really know what picnic style is.

The veggie burger was fine. A bite here and there between playing. Fine. Then, I broke out the peas. MISTAKE.

It started well. He was snaking on them enjoying them. And then, he snatched the plate, tosses the peas, and we were all covered in a hale of smooshy greenness.

After heaving what may have been the biggest sigh of my life, I went to call the dogs into the living room to clean up the mess. All three refused to enter. The dogs that spend literally ALL DAY trying to get into the living room to snatch snacks and toys would not help me out here.

So, I went for the broom. When I returned approximately 22 seconds later, Danny was gleefully STOMPING in the peas. No, he wasn't just walking from point A to point B. He was STOMPING in a CIRCLE in the peas, laughing, laughing, laughing.

I removed him from the mashed pea area (he cried) and began sweeping. Oscar came over and grabbed the broom. You know, to HELP. Four hours later, when we finished, I realized I had no dustpan. I literally turned around to grab a book to use as a makeshift, and Oscar had managed to spread the pile of peas back out in an even further radius than they had been originally. He was only too happy to "help" me sweep them back up.

On the upside, my floor is way cleaner than it has been in weeks.

On the downside, I think I'll be finding dried out peas in my living room for the rest of my life.

8 comments:

abdpbt said...

This is my house more or less every day. I am a bad parent and just give in to Mini's demands to eat while playing. Pretty much every day, I do this. As a result, our house is a disgusting crusty mess.

Casey said...

I'm impress that you attempt to use plates at your house. We throw everything right on the tray or it's guaranteed to go flying. It usually still does but we try.... Must be fun picking up peas off the floor when you're eight months pregnant.

Susanica said...

Oh boys. Bad. Boys. Bad. And I can't believe that the dogs wouldn't eat the peas Jenni. What's that all about????? -Monica

moo said...

were they cooked peas or those freeze dried peas? Grayson loves those "just peas" but you are right ... they get EVERYWHERE, lord almighty!

I can't help it, I'm laughing at you. Some days you just can't win.

bsouth said...

ha ha ha ha - I can't comment, I'm laughing too much. I've done that not once, but twice - how stupid am I?!

kittyconcerto.com said...

Peas=green gooey mess. As I found out, so is marinara sauce for one year olds.

steenky bee said...

Guilty. I totally do that too. A house is not a home without pee and pea stained carpets.

Veronica said...

Peas are such great fun, no?