Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Just Fifteen Minutes: A Story About My Mom

My mom has an amazing talent. It's one that I as a mom totally covet. She can lie down and take a fifteen minute nap and be totally refreshed. Really. And it's NEVER more than fifteen minutes.

I don't know how she does it. It takes me more than fifteen minutes just to fall asleep and if I can get at least an hour I feel more sleepy than I did when I first laid down.

But, ever since we were kids, she's had this amazing skill. She's some kind of Jedi napper. She doesn't even use and alarm clock or a timer or anything. She just lies down, falls asleep IMMEDIATELY and SPONTANEOUSLY wakes in exactly fifteen minutes. And she can do it at any time of day, morning, noon, or night.

And when she wakes up, she's fresh as a daisy. You'd think she's just woken from a ten hour slumber. But No. Fifteen minutes.

Can you imagine what your life would be like if you could get a refreshing, satisfying nap in fifteen minutes? It would change everything for me. Too tired to fix dinner? Take fifteen and whip up a five course meal. Too exhausted to fold those five loads of laundry sitting in the basement? Just lie down for fifteen minutes and fold, fold, fold. Maybe even iron while you're at it. Can't pull it together to get to the grocery store? One fifteen minute siesta and you could be dancing in the isles of Giant.

I think the Jedi napping must be why my mom is such a happy person. She's NEVER TIRED.

Do you hear that, fellow parents? My mom is NEVER tired, and she never was. This lady, who raised three children, worked full time, shuttle our asses around to various after school activities, and took care of the house, was NEVER TIRED. And if she ever was tired, she just closed her eyes for fifteen minutes and became a new woman.

So, while I may make fun of my mom for being a complete and total nut bar, I will always admire and covet her Jedi napping skills. The force is strong with her people, very, very strong.

13 comments:

Casey said...

I'm so jealous of the Jedi nap trick. I can never sleep, even at night... takes me forever to fall asleep and it's always restless. Can your mom teach me a few sleep tricks?

abdpbt said...

Umm, yeah, that's an AWESOME skill. I sleep 8 hours and am still constantly tired! Your mom is superwoman.

crazylovescompany said...

Oh my god. Do we have the same mom? More importantly, why did we inherit those skills? Mad nap skills.

kittyconcerto.com said...

that is impressive! I can nap and wake up without an alarm clock (for naps) and wake up EXACTLY when I said to myself when I wanted too. But never for just 15 minutes.

Your mom stories are great.

crazylovescompany said...

I meant, why *didn't* we inherit those skills? I'm a lousy napper.

Susanica said...

Wow. And you thought some of Oscar's shorter (15 minute) naps were unusual. Sounds like it's in the genes! ;-)

Although as I recall he's not always particularly well rested after some of those mini naps. -M

blissfullycaffeinated said...

I would give ANYTHING to have that ability. Like you, it takes me at least 15 minutes to fall asleep and then I wake up all nasty and groggy. I usually don't even try to nap unless I'm sick.

The Jedi nap trick is awesome. She should write a self help book.

Xbox4NappyRash said...

I I lose weight, can I marry your mum?

Suga T said...

i am a champion napper myself, but i need exactly 20 minutes. no alarm. i fall off to sleepyland as soon as i decide to stretch out. and *blink*, twenty minutes later i'm awake and ready to rumble.

i don't know why, but i think it's partly from my workout routine. i sleep far more soundly at night and rest very peacefully when i exercise daily.

T Triathlete

Kat said...

I would do seriously bad things to have skills like that. I call a 3 hour nap a power nap.

steenky bee said...

Oh no, my naps are two hours long...at the very least. Fifteen minutes? How does anyone do that? Jedi Napping? Did she let you nap as a child? I hope she didn't lay you down and wake you up in 30 minutes! You're mom, she's amazing and maybe a little part super-hero.

bsouth said...

My god, that is truly awesome. I'm so jealous of her. I've forgotten what it feels like not being tired - I'm sure I'll think I've got some terrible disease when it finally happens!

EllenMarie said...

Ahhhhhhhhh! My Dad posesses the Jedi napping skill too!!!!! I need 15 minutes to unwind and fall asleep - he closes his eyes and in 15 minutes is good to go.