Thursday, October 2, 2008

The One Where I Let Oscar Run Amok and Wreck the Joint. Again.

Amok! Amok, amok, amok!

So, in another moment of spectacular parenting (I seem to be having a lot of these this week), Oscar tossed another soda and it exploded. This time, the mess spanned three rooms and five feet. The kitchen, the pass-thru, and the dining room were all hit.

Let me start at the start. I get up each morning at six (groan) so that I have time to shower and eat breakfast before Oscar rises between 6:30 and 7. This is the earliest I've had to get up on a regular basis since high school, but I've made my peace with it. I'd rather get up early and be clean and full than deal with my toddler when I'm hungry, smelly, and cranky.

This morning I get up and I hear an, "Oh!" I go to Oscar's crib and see him, standing, up before the sun, ready to greet the day. I tossed him some toys, got my shower, and brought him down for breakfast.

While I was fixing his breakfast, he went for the boxes of soda. Now, I should have learned my lesson. I should not have let him take a soda out of the box. I should have put him in the gated living room so he was secure. But, taking the soda and/or gating him in the living room resulted in epic whining and I just wasn't ready to deal with that at 6:30am.

Well, I also wasn't ready to deal with the soda that he threw with such force it exploded in three different rooms.

Defeated (already! at 6:30am) I pick Oscar up, clean him off, and put him in the gated living room where he proceeds to whine like there is no tomorrow. I finish making his smoothie and give it to him and commence mopping the floor with two wet dishrags under my feet.

I know this is my fault. I need to move the sodas to the pantry where he can't reach them. But, right now, the summer platters and Tupperware to be returned and something that smells funny are all over the floor in there and I haven't had time to clear it all out. But, it'll get done tonight because finding mystery smell thing > dealling with exploding sodas.

At least this one was of the lemon-lime variety.

I was also going to tell you how yesterday Oscar dumped a glass of water all over my brother's Xbox, but that's just too sad to recall here. I'm feeling like such a loser parent.

AND, there's gonna be another one in two months. Twice the soda, twice the laughs.

5 comments:

Susanica said...

Oh dang!Did that water that spilled when I was picking up Danny hit the xbox? I knew his head and the floor were wet but I didn't even think about the technology. Bummer. Wow, if he's busting pop cans he's stronger than I thought. See you soon Jenni. -Monica

abdpbt said...

Mini dumped an entire bottle of dasani water on himself and all over the carpet in our bedroom this morning. My husband said he was "watering the carpet." So, yeah, you're not alone!

Stimey said...

Quinn dropped a bowl of cereal all over me, the wall, and the floor. At somebody else's house. But at least it didn't happen at 6:30am.

kittyconcerto.com said...

Sounds like he is super strong... so there's a plus (if there is one). Good luck!

jenboglass said...

NOTHING, I REPEAT NOTHING IS BETTER THAN 'SPLODIN SODA. Also, Nothing is as sticky.

Weew! It took me forever to read anyone today. My real job gets in the way sometimes. Also? Yes, I did just type "weew". I went back and corrected it and then thought,, no - I'm givin my gal, Jenni a WEEW today.