Friday, October 17, 2008

The One Where I Turn into a Teenager

In my life before Oscar was born, I was a fundraiser. As a fundraiser, I met my fair share of celebrities. And by fair share I mean three. This, of course, does not include politicians even though if you are from or live in DC, politicians totally count as celebrities. I've met lots and lots of those.

The year before Oscar was born, I met my best celebrity. I was a fundraiser for a liberal non-profit in DC and we were throwing our annual awards ceremony/fundraiser/pain in my ass. It was only the second year, but things were really coming together. We had some amazing honorees. One of them was Tom Morello.

Oh, Tom Morello! When he agreed to accept our award I do believe my heart may have actually sang. Rage Against the Machine was one of my FAVORITE bands in high school. It was from them that I learned music could be loud and beautiful and angry and really mean something. Rage was absolutely part of my political awakening. They made being political and standing up for what you believed in cool.

Not only did he accept the award, but he agreed to actually perform at our ceremony. As stressed as I was about raising money and make the event perfect, I was really excited to meet him.

Now, normally, I do not get to meet any kind of celebrity (pseudo or otherwise) at events because I'm busy working my ass off. But I was determined to meet Tom Morello. I wasn't really sure it was going to happen, but I was going to try like hell.

Flash forward to the day of the event. It is early, during set up. The set up crew is caucusing at the site - me and about four junior staff members. I'm doling out orders and my co-worker Becky looks behind me says, "Oh. My. God."

I turn around and THERE HE IS. Tom Morello is standing RIGHT BEHIND ME. And then I died.

"Hi. I'm Tom Morello? I'm supposed to be receiving an award her tonight and I'm here for sound check?"

You know, in case a group of 20-somethings didn't know who Tom Morello was.

"Hi, we know who you are! I'm Becky!" said Becky, over my decaying corpse.

Then I came back to life and we all introduced ourselves and I gave him a CD to autograph for our raffle. And then I took him over to the stage to do sound check. And then I died again.

Okay, so he was wearing jeans and suspenders and combat boots and his UNITE hat and he had perfect skin and he was humble and he was shorter than I expected and he was a regular guy and seriously one of the most beautiful people I've ever see in real life. It was totally one of the coolest moments in my pre-mommy life and I'll never forget it.

So, tell me, have you ever met a celebrity or someone you really, really admire? How did you react?

6 comments:

steenky bee said...

Wow. Captain Dumbass say Chris Cornell buying water at Safeway. Had he known that you met Tom. maybe he could have said "hi" or something. Weren't they in Audioslave together? On second thought, that might not go over too well. I hear Cornell is a diva.

Um, I met Corey Haim. I blogged about it a while ago. He was strange and smelled like Doritos and feet, which is odd, because I think that Doritos SMELL like feet. But Corey? No, he definitely smelled of both.

The celebrity I hope to run into? YOUR MOM. (That sounded like a "yo momma" joke, but it wasn't.)

Susanica said...

Jenni. I am such a loser that I don't even know who that guy is that you died over. I'm so embarassed I could die.

But 4 years ago I was working on the G-8 Summit I saw all of the leaders of the 8 countries (even have a frightening photo of a handshake with our current presidente) but my moment of awe was when I was in a golf cart trying to get across Sea Island's main street and was stopped by some motorcade. There was one vehicle in front of me. A van. As I sat their waiting, Tony Blair (and some bodyguards) jumped out of the van,and the Prime Minister himself walked around the back of it and sort of tapped my little cart "window" saying something like "Hi there". Turns out he was running late so he just decided to walk across a short field to the press area where he was schedule to do a press interview.

I was dumbfounded and awed. I dislike Bush intensely but for some reason I just loved having this 3 second encounter with Tony Blair. I think that sums it up. -Monica

Captain Dumbass said...

Jenbo is either messing with you or is more gullible than I'd originally thought and I'm going to have a lot more fun with her than I'd ever imagined. I didn't actually see Chris Cornell. I have a habit of seeing people who look like people and then Tweeting about it.

That was a pretty cool story though. I don't think I've ever actually met a real celebrity. Oh, I was in line in front of Rick Hanson once but I was too nervous to say anything.

Captain Dumbass said...

If you have a blank comment from me it's because I didn't notice you have comment moderation and just thought I'd entered the verification word wrong. There's a reason I'm called Captain Dumbass and not Private Dumbass.

anymommy said...

What a great story. I walked back to a parking lot in the vicinity of Carrot Top once. Sadly, that is the closet to meeting a 'celebrity' that I have ever come. You just don't stumble across a lot of them in Ohio.

bsouth said...

I've never met anyone but I have celebrity meeting by proxy disorder so I've come over all goosebumpy that you met Tom Morello. Sigh.