Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Random Bits #3

GOOD NEWS! I got a call from my midwives yesterday and it seems I was mistaken; my insurance will in fact cover a home birth. Yippie! I can't even tell you how stressed I was about having to drive to the birth center while in labor. I realize that driving to the hospital/birth center is par for the course for most women, but I've never had to do it. And, I've made Oscar's childcare arrangements for the birth. I'm beyond happy. Bring on the baby. Ha ha.

*****************************

Oscar seems to feeling better today. I know this because he woke me, quite cheerily at 4AM! and basically refused to go back to sleep. He did play in his crib quietly for two hours though and proceeded to have a fantastic morning tearing around the house and even ATE BREAKFAST which he hasn't done in, oh, two months or so.

*****************************

In other Oscar news, his 15-month check up went great. He's still in the 90th percentile for height and the 25th percentile for weight, so it looks like long and lean he'll be. I'm trying not to hold that against him.

******************************

People keep parking in front of my house partially obscuring my driveway. This really, really annoys me. Do they not see my driveway? Do they not know it's illegal to obscure a driveway? Are they trying to drive me mad? I peer out the front door window and scowl a them. The do not care. I'm turning into a crazy old lady, aren't' I? If I start hollering about those darn kids and their rock and roll, please put me out of my misery. Oh, god, I just used the word "hollering." The transformation has begun.

*****************************

In what may be my best act of parenting yet, I fell asleep this morning while watching Oscar play in the living room. You know what woke me up? Oscar smashing a book into my face, demanding that I read it. And, you know, pay attention to him. After waking me up at 4AM. I'm sure two children will be much, much easier.

10 comments:

Xbox4NappyRash said...

Useless fact, Home births are preferred here over hospital births, by docs AND insurance companies.

Basically a home birth is provided free, where a hospital birth will cost you 120 bucks.

Jenni said...

AND, you also have a lower maternal and infant mortaility rates over there. Conincidince? I doubt it.

Xbox4NappyRash said...

Funny differences really.

A hospital birth will usually see the mother and child sent home on the same day as the birth.

(I know a woman here who gave birth at 3:30 am, and hosted a BBQ that evening back home)

Yet we still could not buy a Basal body thermometer here....go figure.

moo said...

Man, you are BRAVE thinking about a home birth. I'm interested in a casual, that sounds relaxing kind of way ... but the ickiness of the mess factor coupled with the whole "it's illegal in georgia" factor make it an impossibility for me.

Still, I wonder if I delivered at home, would it be free?

Jenni said...

I actually think women who birth in hospitals are brave. I could never deal with being poked and prodded while in labor. But since I had Oscar at home, it's not such a big deal for me to do it again. It just feels like the right thing.

I doubt it would be free, but it certainly would be less expensive (for your insurance company.)

kittyconcerto.com said...

They will cover your home birth? That is awesome! And I too would get really peeved if someone was blocking my driveway.

jenboglass said...

Yay, you! Well, except for the parking in front of your house thing. That's more like Boo, you. well, more like Boo to those parking in your driveway. Love the pics of Oscar. He's a cutie.

bsouth said...

Dear god, Moo - it's not that messy, honest! Plus - what she said about women giving birth in hospitals being braver - that's so right in the uk.

In the uk the norm is for women to go to hospital when their contractions are 3 minute apart and then be pushed onto having a c-section when they don't need one. I'm so glad your insurance covers you. Hopsital births are really not a good thing.

XBox - jesus, try and buy things online already.

Veronica said...

If I didn't have such a decent hospital near by (okay, an hour away) I would be tempted to give birth at home too.

Captain Dumbass said...

When people park in front of your drive way you should get all up in their face and be like, 'see this? (point at belly) I go into labour and I'm driving THROUGH your car!

I see your little wavey pic all over and it kills me. Thought I'd stop by and say hey.