Friday, November 21, 2008

The Breech, Oh the Breech

We went to see this guy Dr. Magic Hands today to see if he would attempt an external version to turn the sprout. He would not - one leg is down and the other other leg is crossed over it, giving the version an estimated 25% success rate. He felt if he attempted it, I would end up with an emergency C-section today.

So, the plan is to stick with the plan. I'll continue seeing the midwives, at least through next week and hope the baby turns. I'll begin acupuncture treatments to help the baby turn this weekend and I hope to get a chiropractor appointment for next week. I'll be doing breech exercises all weekend as well.

If the sprout has not turned by my appointment on Tuesday, my care will be transferred to Dr. Magic Hands. I'll see him on December 1, where he'll determine if a)the baby has turned; or if b)I can attempt a vaginal breech delivery; or if c) I need to have a C-section.

So, it's all about position, position, position! Oh, and to add to the problem, he thinks the sprout is already around 8lbs, making the chance of him spontaneously turning even less because he's already large.

But, I'm hopeful. I'll be envisioning my baby turning and crossing my fingers. And my toes. And my legs.

13 comments:

Casey said...

Wow, hopefully he/she turns on their own. Do you want me to fly up and scrub in in case you need a C-Section? I've seen many of them performed on TV...

crazylovescompany said...

ooh, my thoughts are with you. Interested in what the breach exercises are. It will be fine!

jessica said...

Oh Jenny, Greg and I are thinking twisty turny thoughts!! -JesP

Xbox4NappyRash said...

Turn you little bugger!

Becky said...

You know, I've never known anyone who actually had an external version. Maybe docs are really reluctant to do them? I think they only exist in the pages of Dr. Sears's book.

Veronica said...

I'm thinking twisty turny thoughts for you. Fingers firmly crossed!

montana said...

I just thought of you yesterday thinking that you were going to catch the second baby just like Oscar - so I think he's gonna turn. Hang in there. And did you notice that you wrote "he"? It must be a boy!

Kate said...

I have my fingers crossed for you. Also let me know if there's anything I can do for you. (Not about the breech thing, that's a little outside my area of expertise. But consider this a general offer of any other kind of help.)

Anita the Immigrant Mom said...

Hoping that the baby will turn!
Best wishes
:)
Anita

jen @ negative lane said...

Have you tried any of the techniques at www.spinningbabies.com? I swear this is what got us/kept us head down last time.

Also, some chiropractors are supposed to be skilled in convincing babies to turn (not a version; something called the Webster technique), but I don't have any personal experience with it.

Good luck. I hope the baby decides that head down is how all the cool kids are doing it.

Stimey said...

I'll cross some stuff for you too.

crazylovescompany said...

How did the the acupuncture go?

steenky bee said...

Dr. Magic Hands? Isn't that a Motley Crue song?

Also, my word verification is "grusned" here today. Don't let Dr. Magic Hands grusned you too much.