Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Labor is Magic

Remember how I talked about how much labor hurts, but I also said that the pain was not the defining factor or the most important part childbirth? Well, I meant that. Although it was incredibly painful, it was also the most amazing experience of my life for two reasons.

The first, obviously, is because at the end of it, I had Oscar in my arms. I cannot express how intensely gratifying it is to hold your newborn child and look into his/her eyes for the first time, and the way your heart is absolutely flooded with more love than you ever imagined was even possible. It is beyond perfect.

The second reason, was Nelson. Excerpted from an email to my friend Xbox, at his suggestion:

"The first 8 hours or so of my labor, Nelson and I laughed quite a bit. I mean, I was in a lot of pain during contractions, but for the 2 or 3 minutes between them, there was no pain at all and we so freaking excited that Oscar was finally going to come out of me and join us in the actual world. Also, Nelson was smiling the whole entire time I was in labor, he was so excited and so proud of me. The smiling actually started to piss me off toward the end, because I thought I was dying and he was grinning like a fool. It was actually very sweet though. He was an excellent labor support person. He totally kept my head in the game when I was feeling exhausted and defeated, which is exactly what I needed from him. "

I will tell you with absolute conviction that I could have NEVER, in a million years, had a successful and positive birth experience without Nelson. Nelson and I are closer and love each other more for having gone through Oscar's birth together, and, bad driving aside, I am extremely grateful for my husband every single day.

4 comments:

Xbox4NappyRash said...

See...sa-weet...

bsouth said...

Ohhh, now I'm crying - you big softy (or is he the big softy - or me!).

Casey said...

Awww, see now I feel bad about saying how crappy childbirth was. The pain was bad but we had fun and laughed the entire time too. Well, except when I was wincing in pain. Glad you have Nelson around to keep it real and the mood light.

crazylovescompany said...

What a good story. I love to hear the positive ones. I hope Husband is as good.