Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Is Anyone Out There?




Oh, my are we ever still stuck in the newborn baby hole over here. The verdict on Miles is still that he is very sweet, but boy oh boy is he a nurser. He nurses and he nurses and he nurses. If I hadn't broken down and gotten out a pacifier the kid would be nursing right now.

He nurses for hours. And hours. And hours. When I say he nurses for five hours straight with fifteen minute breaks every hour and a half, I'm not even kidding. And the breaks are mandated by me, so that I can use the bathroom or shower or eat something. He even nurses IN HIS SLEEP.

I realize zealous nursing is not something I should really complain about, especially given the fact that Oscar was such a poor nurser in the first month. But it is so exhausting. And with the mastitis I've just been flat out the past week.

But really, I am loving this baby, every single second of it. The tiny fingers and toes, the little coos and squeaks, the neck nuzzles. And the co-sleeping, oh, how I missed having a little tiny baby in my bed. There will be no bassinet for Miles, oh no, only Mommy and Daddy's bed will do.

It is different this time around, so, so different. When Oscar was this small I couldn't wait for him to get bigger to DO something other than eat, sleep, and poop. But this time, I'm enjoying every single minute of his sweet infanthood.

And, you know what else? Everyone told me I wouldn't get lucky twice. Oscar was a good baby, a great baby even. He slept well, he rarely cried, he was cuddly, he was mellow, he was gorgeous, he smiled, he was easy going. But everyone was WRONG. Miles is an even better baby. He sleeps even better (3.5 to four hours a row at night at two weeks!), he cries even less, he's just as cuddly, just as mellow and easy going, and the kid has been smiling since he was two days old.

Oh, and Oscar could not be any sweeting, kissing Miles every chance he gets. And do you know what he calls his little brother? He calls him You. "Ni Ni, You!" he says at bed time. "You! Youuuu!" Oscar says in the morning. It's the cutest freaking thing ever.
So, we are drowning in laundry, unbelievably exhausted, loving Miles, loving Oscar, loving each other. I know in another month I'll be tearing my hair out but right now all is bliss.


18 comments:

abdpbt said...

Great pictures, glad everything is going so well! Now get on that laundry. :)

Divine Chaos said...

he's such a beautiful baby :) congratulations to all of you.

Have a wonderful New Year

Veronica said...

Amy was a champion nurser too. Hours and hours of it!

Gorgeous photos. If I lived closer I would offer to come and use all my nesting to do your laundry for you.

Super Ninja Mommy said...

He's so beautiful. And ITA - nothing greater than sleeping with a newborn baby! I love curling around his ttle body and feeling his fuzzy head on my arm.

And "nini you"? how freaking cute is that!?

Casey said...

So glad you're doing well, I've been wondering but didn't want to interrupt your baby haven by asking. Oscar is such a nice big brother, I'm glad he's being nice to Miles. I know what you mean about enjoying baby #2. For us, there will be no more babies so I'm trying to make a mental note of every cute/snuggly and even stinky thing the kid does so I can remember it forever. And Oscar is so cute sitting at his table! And Miles, I could just sniff him... he's adorable. Did that come out weird? Sorry.

moo said...

thank god for this post. I'm totally bookmarking it.

glad everything is going so well for you. don't feel guilty about the paci. you do what you have to do in the first few weeks to just get through it!

PRM said...

so happy for you - glad you're enjoying newborness. I'm definitely resolved to enjoying it more next time around now that I know how short it is...

Stimey said...

Hooray! I am so happy to hear that everything is going so well. And your kiddos are so cute!

bsouth said...

Ahh, bless you. I am so glad it's all going so well. I can imagine the constant nursing being a killer, but asleep for 3.5/4 hours - hot damn you're a lucky lady!! Mine don't always do that now and they're 1 and 3! Happy New Year - I wish you some laundry elves.

EllenMarie said...

Awww, that is all great news! Glad to hear everything is going smoothly but I hope your boobs feel better soon. :) And you have given me hope that baby Dunham 3 could possibly be as sweet as baby 2. :)

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

You're babies are just adorable. I was the same way with my first I couldnt read enough of the baby books to see if she should be walking or crawling or adding yet, and then with the second one I was like "well she'll do it eventually" ;) Enjoy every second, I know you will!

Kat said...

You are gonna get me in trouble by starting a case of baby fever!!

Susanica said...

Hi Jenni! Glad to see you back on line again and it was even better to see you all in person the other day. I can't get over how small Miles is even though I know he's actually a pretty "big" guy. Gosh they grow up so fast! I too love that Oscar calls his brother "you". Hope you guys enjoy the rest of Nelson's time home and that your boys keep letting you get some sleep. Talk to you soon. -Monica

Xbox4NappyRash said...

Great, you've given me cavities...

Krystal said...

Enjoy it honey, they grow so fast. I am enjoying Tiny Dancer so much that I am hating going to work. Right now she is laying next to me while I am doing my homework. The other kids have grown close to her as well, I am loving it - I could do without the extra greay hairs I accumulated since October 26th LOL

Veronica said...

Poke poke poke.

How are you doing?

Becky said...

Yay for you guys! Let the laundry fester--I hear they sell clean underwear and socks at Target. And wow at Miles's sleeping! I hope you're able to sleep during that time.

And I had exactly the same feeling about wanting the first baby to "hurry up," but loving every second of the second. Sigh! See what your blog is doing to me!

Baby Bunching said...

Glad to hear things are going well. My son nursed like that....for hours on end. It was hard since he was the first and I didn't know any better and wanted him to give me a break once in a while. Glad you got another good sleeper.