Thursday, December 18, 2008

Moore, Roger Moore

Okay, so while on "maternity leave" I got the urge to write. So, here's a completely non-baby related post for you.

I was a Journalism Major. Did you know that about me? I doubt it. I was also a Women's Studies Major, but a Journalism Major first and foremost.

However, I am not a journalist. My senior year, I became jaded with the media machine and realized I could never be someones lackey like that. I wanted to make an impact in a way I didn't feel I could if I were a professional journalist. And that's not to say professional journalists don't make an impact - they absolutely do - I just didn't see myself as someone who could.

ANYWAYS, although I went to a very large state university, the College of Journalism (or, J School, as the super nerds called it) was quite small. We all knew each other, had classes together, worked at the paper together. It was pretty competitive to get into the college, but once you were in, they wanted to keep you there so there was a real sense of community.

Also, there were some real assholes. And some really amazing people. And some really weird people. I'm going to tell you about one of the weird ones today.

His name was Moore, Roger Moore. Okay, that was NOT his name. BUT he has a very famous name and it is the same name as Roger Moore's most famous on screen personality. The personality with a license to kill, if you know what I mean. Really it was guys, and that was totally awesome. It was his real name. I'm not using it here because he is absolutely the type of person to google himself and he's a lawyer now and I don't want to get sued. For libel, right Roger?

Anyways, Roger Moore and I had many, many classes together over the years. So, here's the thing. I absolutely have to admit that it is very, very cool that his name is Roger Moore. But, the thing is, he also though it was very, very cool. And it was annoying as hell.

Like, when he introduced himself to people, instead of saying, "Hi, I'm Roger" he'd say, "Hi, I'm Moore, Roger Moore." Seriously, he did. It was funny the first time, but it began to wear thin after four years.

In some of our larger survey classes (with like 400-500 students), like media law or economics, students were supposed to say their names when they were called on. So, if I raised my hand and was called on, I would say, "Jenni. Blah, blah, blah, genius answer, blah," so the professor could respond to me by name. But when Roger was called on, he'd always say, "Roger Moore, blah, blah, blah, mediocre answer, blah."

And it was like DUDE. We get that you have the same name as a legendary spy with a license to kill. Shut the crap up about it, will you?

Once, in media law, we were talking about copyright infringement (exciting stuff!) and Roger Moore raised his hand and was all, "Roger Moore. So, my name is Roger Moore. If I opened a security company and called it 'Roger Moore Security' would that be considered copyright infringement? Because, I know it's a well known name, but it's also MY given name." And then we had to spend a freaking hour talking about Roger Moore Security and his freaking name because it was a gray area.

It was too much. He was just soooo into his name. I couldn't take it any more. None of us could. Something had to be done. Something had to change.

To be continued...

7 comments:

Xbox4NappyRash said...

I'm sorry but I just have to laugh at your baby graphic thing on the side there....

I'm sure it flipped me the finger and lit a cigarette.

PRM said...

I know who you're talking about and he ended up at law school with Rick.

Veronica said...

Oh god he would have driven me insane.

Also, I have no idea what you are talking about Xbox, I haven't been able to see the CGI baby since Jenni's due date came and went!

Baby Bunching said...

Ha! I'm laughing at your first comment. I also just looked at the baby graphic thinking....where's the baby???

Hey, I went to "J school" too. Also big school. Also competitive. Also wrote for the paper. Also had an asshole like that. But not with that name. :-)

River said...

Heh, should have called him Jimmy, or Jim, that might have shut him up a bit.

Kat said...

Dude I have a feeling this isn't going to end well for him!

Ali-Pants said...

Oh jeez, I totally used to work with a guy like that. What an ass hat.