Monday, January 12, 2009

Birth Story - Miles William, Part Two

Click here for Part One.

The C-Section was off, yahoo! I was thrilled, absolutely thrilled. I was so proud of my baby for turning around at the last second, for deciding to come out the old fashioned way. But I was also more than a little worried. If he turned once, he could turn again and I did not want that to happen.

I went in to my midwives office that afternoon for a stretch and sweep and to pick up some Castor oil. With a stretch and sweep what happens is they stretch your cervix out and use their fingers to detach the membranes (waters) from the uterus. Sometimes this can start labor. Unfortunately, I was less than 1cm dilated so she couldn't do it. But, I was given the go ahead to try Castor oil in the morning.

Bright and early the next morning, December 12, I took 2 ounces of Castor oil with some orange juice. For those that don't know, Castor oil is a laxative and 2 ounces is about four or five times the proper dose. The idea is that when your bowls start to cramp and empty, it causes your uterus to begin to contract.

Well it didn't work. At all. I was expecting explosive diarrhea and didn't even get much of that. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Still pregnant. Still waiting.

It was decided that I should give my bowels a rest and take the following day, a Saturday, off. We did family stuff, went out to breakfast, shopped. No labor, no contractions, no nothing.

That evening, around Oscar's bath time, I felt something. A contraction! A REAL contraction, a pailful one, one that lasted 90 seconds. And then I felt another, but not until 12 minutes later. Then, they spaced out, about 25 minutes apart. And they stayed that way. All. Night. Long. I got almost no sleep.

The next day, I thought my water broke, so I called the midwives. I was continuing to have contractions anywhere from 7 to 25 minutes apart. They were long. And painful. I tried walking, I went to the mall. Nothing. We went to the midwives office that night to see if my water had actually broke and, nope. No breaking. Just peeing my pants. Lovely.

That night was another tough one with contractions 25 minutes apart and very little sleep. The next morning, a Monday, I took Castor oil again. And again, NOTHING. Well, not nothing. Some loose stools, but it did not ramp up my labor.

Nelson and I decided to to yard work. I raked leaves for about an hour, through contractions. They were getting closer, about 12 minutes apart, but I was still pretty disappointed that things weren't progressing any faster.

Around 7pm that night, after two days of pre-labor, my contractions started getting even closer, about 7 minutes apart and they stayed that way for a couple of hours. I called the midwives (who I'd been in close contact with) and my birth assistant and let them know - I was in labor. It was finally happening. This baby was coming, I just had no idea how soon.

To be continued...

10 comments:

River said...

Gosh, I wish everyone could have the labours I had. contractions beginning about 10 minutes apart, progressing quickly, birth about 4 hours later.

Veronica said...

I remember emailing you lots while these bits were happening!

bsouth said...

I love the fact that you're doing this in stages. Can't wait for the next installment.

montana said...

hurry with the next installment - waiting in anticipation!

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

Well at least we all know how the ending turns out! : ) Can't wait to read more!

-Knowles said...

I really love the photo of Oscar in his jeans. Looking forward to hearing about life with a new baby and a toddler!

Cameron said...

Ummm... yeah. Coulda done without the Castor oil portion of the story, but other than that, very cool. ;)

Casey said...

I don't know how you actually DID stuff while you were having contractions. I was induced both times so I never had to wait to call the dr but if I did, I would be FREAKING OUT the entire time. You're a brave woman, Jenni. And castor oil? Yuck. Sorry you had to endure that without any immediate payout. Well, not the payout you were looking for...

Stimey said...

I'm on the edge of my seat!!

Becky said...

You must have been so exhausted at this point! Off to read part three. . .