Sunday, January 18, 2009

The One Where I'm Totally Vain

My skin has been dry recently. Really, REALLY dry. It happens every winter.

So, no biggie, right? Well, when I'm pregnant, my skin is totally awful for like four months - oily (the pregnant "glow"), lots of breakouts; but the last six months my skin is pretty much flawless. My awesome skin is one of my favorite parts about being pregnant. Like, my skin is so good, I just wash it with water while I'm pregnant, and nothing else. I don't even need to moisturize, other than some SPF 15. It totally rules.

But then I go and have the baby and my skin gets all dry/combination oily on me. And that's really fine because that's been my skin my whole life and I know how to deal with it. I'm running low on my moisturizer and I need to order more so I'm pounding the bottle to get every last drop out and not using as much as usual. This is a pain but on the upside I get a few extra moments to myself in the bathroom.

I was putting on my lotion last night and I noticed something. Something awful. Something nearly unspeakable. I noticed that I. have. wrinkles. On my forehead to be exact.

This may not sound like a big deal to you, but it is to me. These are my FIRST wrinkles. I'm only 30, okay? I'm no more ready for wrinkles than I am for the four stray gray hairs I keep plucking from my head.

And yet, there they are. Wrinkles. I'm well on my way to being an old lady.

So, what is one to do about wrinkles? I think I must need some new skin care products, but which ones? There's a whole world of anti-aging products aimed at vain women like me who want to thwart mother nature's attempts mark my body with the signs of passing time.

Product recommendations? Pity? Commiseration? I'm accepting all three.

11 comments:

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

Ohhh I sooo feel your pain!! It seemed like when I turned 30 is when I noticed my neck was staring to look like my mothers!! I am only 31 now and yeah I guess I should have been more focused on a "beauty regiman" other than ivory soap! : )

I love the Loreal Skin Genesis Line for lotion and make up remover. I dont know if they help with wrinkles or not but I am just going to keep telling myself they do! : )

Super Ninja Mommy said...

I'm 26. Have wrinkles. Don't care. It's going to happen evnetually anyways, and who is really looking that closely at my cheeks when I smile? (Except Four, who pointed them out to me.)

Keely said...

I had gorgeous skin when I was pregnant too! And fabulous nails. And having the baby unfortunately coincided with winter, and I ended up looking like something someone had mummified poorly.

Can't really help you with the wrinkles. I found Olay to be effective, until my skin decided it didn't like that product anymore.

Momma Bear said...

I try not to look at my face...hah!
But I do enjoy Origins. I don't necessarily get their "age defying" line but I get the regular stuff. i love the smell. it makes me feel so relaxed. I'm really struggling with depression like hardcore right now so I'm honestly not washing my face a lot, or moisturizing, spf ing it either. I need to call the dr. as see what's up-cause momma can't lose her mind!
I hear ya though!! Origins yep the smells will relax ya if you like the herbally/minty smells.
take care!

kittyconcerto.com said...

I just turned 30 this past november and everybody thinks I'm in my early 20's (or younger).

It's probably because I cover my wrinkly forehead with a)makeup and b) bangs.

Since I've been pregnant, this is the first time in over ten years that I have seen my real hair color. So I just now discovered my four gray hairs (why is it always four?). Bad that I have gray hairs. Good that I never knew how awesome my natural hair color is!

So basically, I'm in the same boat as you. Except itchier. Good luck.

Casey said...

Oh no, wrinkles! I actually have a big one down the center of my forehead from when I scowl (apparently, I do that a lot) and it's been there awhile. I feel your pain.
On to dry skin... it may sound weird, but when I get rough patches on my elbows, I put nipple cream on them. See? Weird. The Lansinoh stuff. I wouldn't put it on your face though, too greasy. There's my weird tip of the day, my elbows are nipply.

River said...

I can't recommend any products, all I can tell you is what I use. Cheap stuff. Sorbolene creams or lotions, generic brand vitamin E creams, Palmers cocoa butter lotion. I love the way the cocoa butter smells, but to make it go further I mix it will sorbolene lotion. I use a 30+ sunscreen all year round. Not too many wrinkles yet. Good genes I guess. I'm 56.

Kat said...

I don't have any wrinkles... that I have noticed anyway. I use an Avon moisturizer.

moo said...

I just use regular vaseline skin cream, every day, right after the shower. And I try not to panic too much.

This past summer was the first one where I started wearing hats -- big brimmed hats -- when I sat outside. *sigh*

crazylovescompany said...

Short of botox or surgery they won't go away. But I found that using a really creamy night cream, I like Olay or L'Oreal's, helps plump up the skin. Only use it at night though because the ones created for nighttime are really thick and too much for daytime.

On a side note, it doesn't matter. You look wonderful.

BTW, your birth post scared me a little. You are one brave chickie. Glad you are doing so well now!

Krystal said...

I know what you mean about the dry skin! My hands feel like sandpaper when I am not pregnant! Litle Man this morning told me I scratched his nose with my nails - I bite my nails!!!