Friday, January 30, 2009

Tell Me I'm Crazy

Oscar is off at a sleepover with his grandparents. Woo-hoo, right? Par-tay! Only one kid to feed and dress and bath and entertain all day long? What a sweet mini vacay.

But, not really.

Because I miss the hell out of him and I want him to come home.

I love Oscar and most times, when he's not drinking poison and mocking me, I enjoy having him around. He's fun, he's sweet, he makes me laugh. He gives me kisses and hugs several times a day. Lately, when I'm nursing the baby, he'll come up on the couch and cuddle up next to us. It breaks my freaking heart.

It's not that I'm not enjoying my alone time with Miles. It has been wonderful. He and I have taken this opportunity to nurse and nap most of the day, something infant Oscar and I spent lots to time doing, but Miles and I have rarely done. And he's been smiling up a storm. It's like a smile parade around here, even when he wakes up at 3am, he's a grinning fool.

But, you know, he's just not as INTERESTING as Oscar. And it's kinda boring around here without Oscar. I mean, my house hasn't been ransacked in two whole days. I barely know what to do with myself.

Just to be clear, it's not at all that I don't want Oscar spending time with his grandparents. I do. I think it's important that they and he get one-on-one time together, that he feels comfortable with them, and that he has a chance to have the spotlight all to himself. Really important stuff.

So, am I totally nuts? Is it completely insane that instead of being grateful that my in-laws have taken Oscar all I want is for him to come home? Give it to me straight. I can take it.

15 comments:

abdpbt said...

When I'm away from Mini, I often feel the same way. Of course, when he's around, he makes me want to pull out my hair sometimes, but toddlers are just so much more fun than newborns. Hell, all babies. I mean babies are cute and amazing and all that jazz, but I don't think they start to get really fun until toddlerhood hits and their little personalities are more apparent.

Momma Bear said...

You so crazy! No I'm just kidding! You are not at all crazy, you miss your baby. Your "norm" is having your two babes in tow. Even now- when life is crazy and I know I need a break and the huz takes the babes I still miss them! It's difficult to be away cause I think we love them so. That little Oscar he sounds like a keeper cuddling with momma and all...

Cameron said...

You are um, what's the word I'm looking for....oh, um...INSANE. jk, I understand what you mean. Babie's Miles age just don't do a whole lot. Eat, poop, sleep, repeat as desired. Oscar, I'm sure is much more entertaining. Revel in your quiet time, though, there's never enough of it.

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

Yeah you're crazy!! Will his grandparents take my kids too?? Or you can have them if you are missing ransacked houses. : )
When thinking back to just one baby days though, I wonder how I didn't jump out of a window with boredom though so I get that, but yeah I kind of think you might just be a teeny tiny bit wacko! : )

Heather said...

Totally crazy!!! Naaa...When my kids are away I'm one crazy woman!!! Totally normal...not crazy at all!!! Just be glad it isn't for 6 weeks every summer!!! :)

Stimey said...

It's sweet, not crazy. But I'm glad you're taking advantage of your quiet time even if you miss Oscar. And don't worry, Miles will get interesting. And then the two of them will get interesting together, and then you're in big trouble. But that comes later.

bsouth said...

Not at all loopy - totally normal to be missing him - who's the person you've spent the most time with over the last couple a years?? Try and enjoy the time that other people will have him though - it's precious time with Miles that you won't get that often.

Veronica said...

A little bit insane, but then I think I am too, because damn if I don't miss Amy when she is gone.

Casey said...

Oh yeah, you're nuts! I felt the same way when Graham started spending the occasional weekend with my parents but I quickly got over it. Enjoy the time with Miles, nap and watch TV and play the computer uninterrupted.

Keely said...

Xander hasn't spent an 'overnight' yet. I miss him when I go to work still. So I'm with you. We can both be crazy.

steenky bee said...

Nope, not crazy. I feel the same way when Henners is gone. The house is eerily quiet. But now that Reese is getting bigger and mischevious, it's nice to have one on one time with her. Don't worry, Miles will learn some pranks soon enough. He'll be tearing your house down in no time.

Baby Bunching said...

Wow, OK, I've been WAY behind on blogs this week. I missed all your great posts. The poison one....I'm going to have to highlight over at Baby Bunching this week.

Baby Bunching said...

Oh, and to answer your question...no, you're not nuts. I always miss my kids after more than 3 hours....even now!

moo said...

not nuts; totally normal.

You'll appreciate him 10fold when he gets back!

Becky said...

You're a tiny bit nuts, but only in the way that all moms of little kids are. :) They are fun, those toddlers, with their big personalities.

Hope you enjoyed your baby time, though!