Tuesday, February 17, 2009

On the Mend


Tell me this photo isn't one of the saddest things you've ever seen. That's poor little baby Miles in his prison-style crib at Children's Hospital, with baby hosptial socks, and a teeny tiny baby IV in his arm, pumping him full of antibiotics.

We woke Sunday to our cheerful boy, but two hours later he was howling in pain when he pooped. I changed him and noticed a pee sized lump that was hard to the touch and made him scream like the dickens when I touch it.

We called the on-call pediatrician and within an hour, before she even called back, the lump had formed a white head. She sent us to the ER, although she stressed she was not overly worried, just wanted it to get drained before it got larger and more painful. The ER doctor diagnosed Miles with a peri-anal abscess and sent us to Children's to have it drained by a pediatric surgeon.

By the time we got to Children's the abscess was nearly the size of a dime, and when the ER nurse lifted Miles' legs to examine it, it burst. The pediatric surgeon came in and examined him to see if the infection was deeper in the tissue and it was not, so surgery was not needed but she did want to draw blood to confirm that the infection had not spread.

The blood work came back with an elevated white count so Miles was admitted and put on an IV antibiotic. The blood culture came back negative for sepsis and a day and a half later, the wound culture came back positive for staph. Luckily, we caught it so early our little guy never even spiked a fever. Every doctor we saw told us how lucky we were. Had it spread to the blood...I tear up even to think. Sepsis can so easily be fatal for a baby as young as Miles. We are so, so lucky. So lucky.

He breastfed a lot in the hospital, and neither of us slept very well due to our roommate who also had a staph infection, but it had not been caught so early and she was spiking 105 degree fevers.

We are home after two nights in the hospital with an oral antibiotic. I'm thankful we had access to such a good hospital and the health insurance to pay for it. I'm thankful for the kind hands and words of the nursing and support staff at Children's Hospital. I'm thankful that Miles is healthy and strong.

I'm off to sleep in my own bed tonight after two nights on a pull out chair. Sweet dreams.

23 comments:

Cara said...

Poor you & poor Miles. How unbelievably scary. What a way to count your blessings, knowing that it was caught so early & didn't get worse. I'm glad to hear you guys are home & doing well. I hope you get a good night's rest.

Momma Bear said...

oh my god, I'm so sorry!! I'm so glad your babe is on the mend momma! Oh boy frightening. Hang in there, and thanks so much for sharing.

Keely said...

omg that's scary! Poor little guy! I'm so glad they caught it and he's on the mend.

Becky said...

Oh honey! What a scary experience. Good for you for being so observant--good mama! Staph and everything, wow. You just never know what's coming at you. So glad you guys are back home and well.

Casey said...

Oh Jenni, that's terrifying. Good for you for being on top of it. Ugh. I'm so glad you had a happy ending to share.

abdpbt said...

Oh man! Mr. Right-Click and I are sitting here all weepy about your story--so glad the little man is OK and that you caught it so quick. Get well soon, Miles!

Ali-Pants said...

Holy moly... I am tearing up over hear reading about Miles and your hospital stay. My little guy is about his age and my heart goes out to you. SO GLAD HE'S HOME SAFE!!

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

Oh my! Thank God he is safe and healthy. How very scary for you and your family!! Hope he gets well soon! Get some sleep.

jen @ negative lane said...

How scary. I'm glad you caught it early and that he's okay.

blissfully caffeinated said...

Oh, Jenni! My god, that is so scary. I'm so glad you caught it early and little Miles is recovering. Big hugs for you all.

Xbox4NappyRash said...

is it wrong that I'm amused by the picture looking like he's handcuffed to those bars.

seriously, the poor poor thing.

(word verification is STING, snort...)

Susanica said...

Well, as you know, Su and I are really relieved that little Miles is doing okay and that you caught it so early you prevented him from more pain. Like Xbox though I chuckled when I saw his little picture now. Not because he looked handcuffed to the bar, but because his little belly looks so cute from that angle. Hope all your boys are letting you get an extra nap in today. Talk, to you soon. -Monica

Cameron said...

Yuck, what a horrible situation. I'm glad Miles pulled through it with flying colors.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Oh, that is horrible! So glad to hear your brave boy is better. Sleep well tonight!

Veronica said...

Oh shit honey! God! Am so glad to hear that he is home and fine now.

Kat said...

OMG that is so scary. I am glad that everything worked out for the best. Keeping the little guy in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

Katie said...

I'm so glad to hear Miles is well and on the mend. What a scary experience. I hope the whole fam is catching up on some rest. Talk to you soon!

Stimey said...

So terrifying. I am SO happy that Miles is okay and that you are both back. Children's can be a scary place.

periperijane said...

Wow, i am so glad everything worked out. How scary that must have been. Hope you guys are all feeling better!

kittyconcerto.com said...

Poor little Miles! SO GLAD that you guys caught it early and the infection didn't spread. Take care of yourself and I hope Miles has a quick recovery.

Baby Bunching said...

Oh man, I am so sorry that you all had to go through this. I hope everyone's doing better now.

bsouth said...

Christ - how scary for you but well done for being alert and noticing it. I'm so glad he's ok and pleased your back home. (((((hugs))))) Oh, and don't scare me like that again!

elizabeth (dundee) lampert said...

Oh, so scary. What smart parents for having it checked so quickly.