Friday, March 27, 2009

He's a Booooooob Man!

So, you know what Miles loves? My boobs. Holy shit does he ever. I mean, seriously a lot. For the past week I've been nursing the kid MOST of his waking hours. He's THREE MONTHS OLD for crying out loud, and he's nursing like a newborn.

Now, I realize that I am lucky to have a kid that took to the breast so well, that nurses so fantastically, that is growing into a fat, healthy baby nourished only on milk. I'm proud, even. But, with the thrush (which is improving) and the fact that we just went through a growth spurt two weeks ago is just wearing me (an my nipples) out.

Pump and give him a bottle, you say? Miles turns his nose up at rubber nipples. They are not as warm and soft and as MOMMY as my boobs are. And so we nurse. And nurse. And nurse.

Yesterday, after an HOUR of nursing, I took him off and put him in his chair and he was immediately gnawing at his fists like some kind of deranged badger. It is to the point that I'd be worried my supply was dwindling were it not for the fact that every time he delatches to catch a breath (he's congested) milk sprays all over his wee face.

And yesterday? Yesterday, Oscar asked me to nurse!!! He said "Nurse? Nurse? Nurse?" and eyed my boobs hungrily. And I was all, "Kid, you've got to be insane if you think I'm gonna let you and those mashers you call teeth anywhere near my boobs. Your time with them is over." And then Oscar said, "Lap? Lap? Lap?" But, you know what? I can't fit a 15 lb infant and a 26 lb toddler in my lap at the same time. I have ample ass, but my lap just is not large enough to hold 40 lbs and five feet of child.

Oh, and? Starving. Dying of thirst. All the time. My goddamn lips are cracked, that's how dehydrated all this nursing has my body.

After a week of sleeping all night, Miles is waking once between 2 and 5 and nursing for an hour. AN HOUR. He is nursing so much that I am waking up engorged. That's right, he feeds in the middle of the night and sill I'm engorged in the morning. I could feed twins with all this milk. Didn't PETA say something about Ben & Jerry's replacing the cows milk in their ice cream with human milk? I have enough for that.

He's sleeping now. My boobs are engorged and they hurt and I need him to nurse to give me some relief, so I can't even properly enjoy these moments where my boobs are allowed a bit of freedom.

When he's awake and not nursing and not trying to devour his fist? Oh my god he is a gem. Smiling, cooing, squealing, laughing. You know what happened the other day? Oscar played peek-a-boo with Miles. And then my blog died. It was that cute. Hiding his face with his hands and revealing his face to Miles to the smiles and giggles of both. I'm dying a little right now remembering that.

So, it's so worth it. Right? This growth spurt can only be, what, another four, five days max?

14 comments:

Peggy said...

Yeah, four or five days max...or the next ELEVEN or SEVENTEEN years! LOL!

Sorry about you rack! :)

Happy Friday!

Kat said...

Keep telling yourself that, Sugar.

Heidi said...

My first son (Theodore MILES - maybe it's the name) was like that; ate and ate. I was engorged for the first 10 months - "supply will equal demand" my a**. Hang in there. Only 9 or so months to go before you can treat yourself to a pretty new NORMAL bra.

crazylovescompany said...

OMG! I'm so glad I read this post. The bundle, who is a few days older than Miles I believe, is also going through some insane growth, and therefore feeding, spurt. He is actually waking up one more time in the middle of the night now. Asleep at 7pm, wakes up at 12am, 3am and 6am. What the heck? He is growing out of his 3 mo. onesies now so I guess that's the proof.

Xbox4NappyRash said...

I can safely tell you, he won't grow out of it

Becky said...

Ha ha, this post made me smile! Those days are over so quick, you know?

And hey, nice rack!

Heather said...

Ahhh...yes...I remember those days...good luck with that...I have no advice for you other than.."this soon will pass"...I promise.

abdpbt said...

egads! Well, good for him. Just keep drinking your water and hoping for him to take to a bottle at some point, I guess!

sammanthia said...

This is the fourth post today where I've seen the word "nipples". I don't even read very many blogs.
I love it (your post, not the word "nipples").

Casey said...

Man, that must suck (like Miles does when he's nursing). Ok, not funny, sorry. Neither of my kids drank from the tap, I solely pumped and bottle fed them. We had to get a freezer for the garage since I had so much damn milk and ended up throwing away a crapload. I tried to donate it to a milk bank but they wanted me to go in and take a blood test and all of that crap and that wasn't happening. Oh, did I go on a side tangent? Sorry. Good luck to you, your boobs and your boys.

Veronica said...

Oh yeah, engorged! I had to express last night because of a growth spurt and a blocked duct and MAN can this boy of mine feed!

Veronica said...

Also, how is your dairy free going?

anymommy said...

Ouch. Both my boys were like this. Sweet little angels who could nurse for 15 hours straight it felt like. Hopefully, it's fun some of the time? My sympathy is with your aching nipples.

mrsbear said...

I'm sure knowing it's temporary is not helping the state of your boobs any. At least you have the satisfaction of knowing you're kicking ass on the breastfeeding front. I was a complete failure, but I've managed to bury that guilt away along with all the rest. ;)