Monday, April 27, 2009

Around the World in 80 Clicks

Barbara over at Barbara's 366 has tagged me for the Around the World in 80 Clicks meme and I am so excited about it! The idea is to link mommy bloggers all over the world in a kind of virtual, international play date.

The rules are to list five things you love about parenthood and link back to the meme's authors, Catherine at Her Bad Mother and David at It's Not a Lecture so they know you need to be added to the departure lounge. Then, you need to tag five other mommy bloggers, some from your country and some from others. David is hooking everyone up - see the HBM post I've linked to above for details.

So, here goes, five things I love about motherhood.

1. My kids are gorgeous. I realize this is superficial, but I just love to look at them and marvel that such spectacular looking children came out of my relatively average body. They are real lookers and I imagine that everyone who meets them is secretly jealous that my kids are so good looking. I love it when they flash their megawatt smiles for strangers in the grocery store, causing pools of melted grandparent all over our nation's capital. I mean just look at them:
2. It's a challange. Just when you think you've got everything figured out, they change it up on you. Sleeping through the night? Then they start teething. House finally baby proofed enough for your crawler? Then they start walking. Think they love broccoli/peanut butter/sweet potatoes? Then they throw it in your face. There is a new monster to tackle almost every single day. But I like it. It keeps me on my toes. And it's really pretty humbling. It's also humbling when your toddler sticks his finger in the crack of your rear, which is hanging out of your pants as you squat on the floor to mop up his 100th beverage spill of the day. Dull motherhood is not.
3. Breastfeeding. It's true. I really do love breastfeeding my kids. I love that my body alone is able to supply them with all the nutrients they need for the first six months of their lives. That's just amazing. And I love the closeness I feel with them while they nurse; the contented baby sighs; they way their eyes roll back in their heads; the way their toes curl. I love the way I feel so calm and relaxed when Miles is latched on and I love it when we both fall asleep while he's nursing. I nursed Oscar for 12.5 months and I hope to nurse Miles for at least that long and as long as it's working for both of us.
4. Seeing my kids enjoy each other. They are still a little young for this, but I love nothing more than to see Oscar and Miles grinning and laughing at each other. This is what it's all about. I know the best thing I could have ever done for them was giving them each other - a sibling to share their lives with, to grow up with, someone who will love and support them always, even after I am gone.
5. Ah, the love. I never knew I had such a capacity for love, but since having my kids it's like a bottomless well. And they love me back. There is no expectation, no pretension, just love. It's like a drug. And they make me want to be a better person because of it. I feel like I've done nothing to earn their adoration so I try every day to be a mother worthy of such princely sons.
I'm tagging:
1. FoN over at Kids and Daiquiris
2. Cara over at Momma Says
4. Becky at Suburban Matron
Go forth and spew your motherly love!

6 comments:

montana said...

aargh, - can't believe someone else tagged you for this. I was tagged by anymommy a couple of weeks back and still havent' been able to find the time to finish the post, and I was going to tag you! Guess I could still put that in the post...how it's spreading! #4 That is why I want a 2nd :)

Casey said...

You do have gorgeous boys. Your boobs must be having a good week if you included breastfeeding in there... ;)

steenky bee said...

Those boys are both such lookers! Motherhood has been a shocker for me. Pleasant, but definitely a shocker.

Keely said...

I have the same thought about Xander most days - "OMG he is SO CUTE. How the heck did I produce that??".

FoN said...

Alrighty, I'm in. You're kids are pretty cute - just wait until they start talking. My three-year old is now smart enough to play on her cute to get things she wants. The sad part is is that it works most of the time.

bsouth said...

You only get fingers stuck down the crack of your rear? I got a remote control the other day! I guess my butt is bigger than yours!