Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Exhausted

Oscar's been fighting off a nasty cold for weeks. Goopy eyes, sticky yellow snot, the works. On Friday, the runny nose stopped and he started coughing a little. I though the cold was finally moving on.

Wrong.

On Monday he woke up coughing and wheezing. Oscar was MUCH worse than he'd been on Sunday and had been getting worse for the past two days. And he was burning up. Miles had another appointment with the surgeon, so I told Nelson to call the on-call nurse at our pediatrician's office and tell her what was going on and to watch his breathing.

When I got home an hour and a half later, the wheezing had turned into gasping for air. He looked like a fish out of water. I looked at his chest and he was having clear retractions (the skin between his ribs was being sucked in with each breath.) And he was hot, so hot. I gave him some Tylenol on top of the Motrin we'd given him in the morning.

I felt panic. "Nelson! Look at him! He can't breathe!"

"I know, we have an appointment for 12:30."

"That's not soon enough. I'm calling back."

They told us to come right in.

What was so scary to me was how quickly he'd gotten worse. And just seeing my kid struggling to breathe and there being nothing I could do to get him air.

I was certain it was pneumonia.

Wrong.

It was a virus. Just a virus. But, because Nelson has asthma, Oscar is predisposed to have difficulty breathing with even a minor cold, according the pediatrician.

Okay, it wasn't just a virus. He also has a double ear infection. A real nasty one, giving him fevers of 104 and higher.

Yesterday we had to have him on the nebulizer every three hours; every four over night. Nelson slept on his floor because we were both so terrified he'd stop breathing in his sleep. That's how bad his breathing sounded. He's also on antibiotics for his ears.

This morning he was a new boy. Still wheezing, still feverish, but no longer gasping for air. When we took him in for a follow up, the pediatrician was pleased with how he was doing. He'll be on the neb for the rest of the week, but she thinks he'll be fine after that.

He's gotten to spend the last two days watching movies, drinking juice, and eating cookies. If I have to watch Finding Nemo one more time I think I might drown, but he's feeling better. I'm exhausted.

15 comments:

steenky bee said...

I would have been freaking out. Sister, you handled this one much better than I did. So sorry you're exhausted. Get some rest. (I know, whenever anyone hands me that nugget of advice, I just want to punch them in the throat.)

Kelly said...

How scary! I hope he gets to feeling better soon!

Casey said...

Poor Oscar. I'm glad you waited to post this until there was a happy ending since I would have been worrying down here in FL. Glad he's feeling better.

Becky said...

Oh gosh, that feeling of panic! So glad he's getting better.

I hope the trifecta of couch time, juice, and animated movies will bring him back to perfect health!

Cameron said...

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming"

Heh...my captcha word: hosed

Sounds about right.

Momma Bear said...

how frickin scary, i'm so sorry! glad the babe is okay though. sheesh!!

Hang in there momma!!

Heidi said...

Hang in there! And try another movie - there's only so much Dory and Marlon one mom can take.

blissfully caffeinated said...

Man, as if you don't have enough on your plate right now. I'm glad Oscar is feeling better, hope he's fully recovered soon!

jen @ negative lane said...

I'm glad he's feeling better. That would have really scared me, too.

And I know what you mean about Nemo. We went through a Nemo phase the last few weeks. Then, all of a sudden, the obsession has switched to the Incredibles.

bsouth said...

It's bloody terrifying when it happens. We only had a mild episode and I didn't sleep for about 3 days after. I think the fear tires you out as much as the not sleeping - if that makes sense. I'm so, so glad he's feeling better.

The first time I saw Nemo I thought it was really cute. I hate it now!

Kat said...

Glad that he is getting better. Now you get some rest!

Cara said...

How's Mr. O doing? I hope he's on the mend & Miles doesn't catch any of this.

Take care of yourself, Momma.

Veronica said...

Shit. (((hugs)))

Glad he's on the mend.

Susanica said...

I hear Oscar is back to his old wonderful self. At least that's what Danny "told" us. ;-)

Glad he's better. Nothing more scary than your kid not breathing right. See you soon Jenni. -Monica

Stimey said...

It's scary to watch your child be so sick. I'm glad he's feeling better.