Thursday, April 23, 2009

Four Months

Oh, dear. It's seems I'm late. Today, my Miles, you are in fact four months and seven days but I figure since you were ten days late in your arrival you will forgive me this.

Four months. What is the deal with you, my little man? You seem to be determined to grow up too fast. You started rolling over last month. Rolling over! A full month before your brother even attempted such a feat. And my are you a big one! You are almost the same size at four months that your brother was at six. It seems likely you will be bigger than your older brother, which seems fair since you will always be younger, always be second to do the fun things like driving and seeing R rated movies.

Kiddo, you've been scratching the heck out of your face and head these past few weeks. I think your cradle crap is really starting to bother you. I'm doing my best with olive oil and medicated shampoo and clipping your nails every three days but I'm really not much help. You're ruining your beautiful face but all the scratches make you uniquely you, so I still snap photos even if you are a gory mess.

You are such a laugher. I can just look at you cross-eyed and you burst into this full-bellied chuckle. And my god are you ticklish. A stray finger on your tummy or ribs or even under your ample chin has you squealing. Even Oscar has taken to tickling you.

Laughing is not the only noise you make. You squeak and coo like some kind of baby bird. Oscar shrieked with delight, but you make softer, more contented noises. I love to hear you sigh when you settle in for a good nurse. We have so little time alone, you and I, so I savor these moments when we are both so contented and so happy.

You positively worship Oscar. You watch is every move, trying to catch his eye and snare him with your smile. I'm never happier than in the moments when I'm holding the two of you on my lap and you are looking at each other and laughing at each other. It's a beautiful thing.

I am so enjoying you right now, at this stage. You still have eyes for only me. I am the one who gets the best smiles, the best laughs. You light up when you see my face. No one can calm and comfort you like Mommy. I realize how selfish this sounds, but I say it with the surefire knowledge that ten months from now your total dependence and infatuation with me will be less than memories when, as a toddler, you fall hard for Dada. I will be ridiculously jealous.

12 comments:

Cameron said...

He's getting to be a little man. Watch out, he'll be crawling before you know it.

Kinda neat to see the progression of Miles and Oscar, and Xander over at Keely's. It's funny to say I knew you back when. I still remember the incredibly funny guest post I did for you when you were supposed to be in labor, but instead Miles decided to stick it out a few more days.

Come to think of it, I never did get compensated for that. What gives?

Michele Renee said...

Here's to Second Sons. (and homebirthed babies). You captured the moments wonderfully.

steenky bee said...

OH HE'S CUTE! I love his smile in the last picture!

Also? I'm laughing so hard at Cameron's comment here. "Remember that incredibly funny post I did for you...." His was good.

Casey said...

Wow, four months already! He is such a cutie pie and he looks just like the baby pics you've posted of Oscar. Elliot did all of that stuff way earlier than Graham too, it's like this "I'm the second kid" competition where they're hell bent on rolling/crawling/walking earlier to show us up.

Veronica said...

You said it so well.

kittyconcerto.com said...

Wow! I can't believe how time flies lady! And he is such a cutie. I love the comparisons btw him and Oscar and pictures. Just precious.

Susanica said...

That boy is so darn adorable! Four months already? That can't be true! -M

Xbox4NappyRash said...

You are so lucky so live so far away, I would absolutely steal him.

Painfully cute.

Kat said...

I think I just felt my heart get a little bigger. That boy is precious.

Cara said...

Oh man is Miles a looker! I wish Roo was interested in that "2nd baby speediness syndrome."

Mrsbear said...

Aw, what a cutie. Happy four months to him. I used to love those baby giggles, they were infectious.

bsouth said...

That was a beautiful post. He certainly is the smiliest lovliest baby I've seen in a long while.

I don't think you're being selfish enjoying him, like you say, when he falls for daddy it will be so hard. I hated it both times.