Friday, May 15, 2009

Gonna Party Like it's 1994

Have you heard the news? Blissfully Caffeinated and Stiletto Mom are hosting a blog prom, and Sprite's Keeper is Spinning the prom this week! Here's my walk down memory lane...

All of my proms were with Nelson, my now husband. Our first prom, his Senior Prom, was in the glory days of 1994. You will recall this year's music charts sported hits such as Bump'n'Grid by R. Kelly; Shoop, By Salt'n'Peppa (still on of my faves); numerous melodies by Ace of Base; and the amazing Mmm, Mmm, Mmm, Mmm by timeless great Crashtest Dummies. But, what reigned supreme for us in those days was grunge - Nirvana, Perl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins. These bands make up the soundtrack of my high school years. So much guitar, so much angst, so much dirty hair and smudged eyeliner.

Nelson and I hadn't been dating long when he invited me to his prom, and he invited me just two weeks beforehand (nice one, honey.) I was pretty excited, as I was only a sophomore and it was a big deal for sophomores to go to prom. My mom was even more excited than I was. It only gave me two weeks to find a dress. I loved it. It was black, with a gauzy skirt with little beads hanging down where the bodice met the skirt. My hair was red (of course). I re-dyed it the day of the prom, so the color would be fresh.

On Nelson's parent's front porch, May 1994:

LOOK HOW THIN WE ARE!!! Check out my wrist corsage, hahahaha! Also, note to 1994 Jenni - that center part so dose not work for you, girl! What were you thinking? Ugh, and that red hair completely washes you out.

In my mom's kitchen:

Look how thin my arms were! And my itty bitty waist! I wasn't actually able to get the boutonniere on. My mom did it for me after we posed for the photo.

In 1996, I took Nelson to my Junior Prom. This was a much bigger deal, because I actually had time to find a dress. And find a dress I did. My Junior Prom dress was my FAVORITE DRESS of ALL TIME. I hope to be able to squeeze my ass into it again someday, with the help of HASAY and SPANX.

Although, I loved my dress, I made a major hair error. I had an up do, finger waves. My mom (a former hair dresser) did a great job, but the look was just not good for me. Too severe.

Here we are, in our "professional" prom photo, circa 1995:

How fucking hot is this dress? I mean, OH MY GOD it was the hottest dress at the prom that year and I'm only partially kidding. Look at the key hole opening! And that slit! And could it bee any slinkier? Look how flat my stomach was. After two kids, it's going to cost me a lot of money to get it to look like that again. See what I'm saying about the hair? It just didn't add to the look. And again with the hilarious wrist corsage! Do people still wear those things? And look at Nelson's hair! LOOK AT NELSON'S HAIR!


Okay, my third and final prom. My Senior Prom, 1996. The theme was a Midsummer's Night Dream and our "song" was In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel. It was kind of anti-climactic since I'd already been to two proms, but we shared a limo that year with my BFFs Christie and Christian and their dates, so it was pretty cool. Our dates had all already graduated two or more years prior to the prom. We were those kids. I asked my mom to make my dress. She did a great job, but for some reason I decided to wear a white dress. Actually, I think I wore a white dress because my mom told me all the girls at her high school wore white to prom and I though that was cool. But I was so ghostly pale the white did nothing good for me.

In front of my parent's fireplace:


See what I mean about the white? It washed me out. Again with the center part, and check out my roots Classy. But not as classy as my SHIMMERY HOSE. And a Jenni/Nelson prom would not be complete without a wrist corsage. You can't see my shoes but I promise you, those babies were totally dyed-to-match.
This last photo is of us getting into out limo. I only posted it so you could see the lush forest I lived in and my parents' hawt cars. The one at the top that you can just barely see is my Dad's '72 El Camino SS. I used to drive that thing, you guys, really I did! It was AWESOME. The one at the bottom of the photo is my mom's 90-something Trans Am. That's right. My mom drove a TA.

They both still own these cars, but no longer drive them.
So, there it is. The Jenni and Nelson Prom Spectacular.
Join in the fun, or spy more horrendous prom photos over at Blissfully Caffeinated or Stiletto Mom, and Sprite's Keeper too!

23 comments:

Peggy said...

Haha Jenni! Nelson's HAIR was fabulous! You were a cutie in H.S. and an el camino? You must've been a badass too!

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

That post right there...just made my week!! You guys were HOT! : )

The Stiletto Mom said...

There are no words for how much I wish I had not had a mouth full of diet coke upon viewing Nelson's hair. That stuff hurts when you snort it up your nose! OMG...the hair will haunt me for days.

The shimmery hose deserve special attention too. I like the way they made sort of symetical lines on your shins. The height of fashion...

Thanks for playing...I'm linking you!

blissfully caffeinated said...

Oh girl, I remember those days so well. That first picture is very 'My So Called Life.' Angela rocked the center part also. And damn, that silver dress is HAWT! Mmmmm Mmmmmm indeed.

I'm so glad we've all seen the error of our pantyhose ways and no, I do not believe the kids wear those wrist corsages these days. We were just classy like that.

You are linked!

Joy said...

those were great I also went to 2 proms with my now hubs and my senior was 96.

the shimmering hose I think were the best part

Mrsbear said...

I love the parade of dresses and hair styles. You guys were too cute. The shimmery pantyhose was too much! Really, I should own a pair of those, just to parade around in the grocery store. ;) Grunge was a big part of my high school soundtrack too, dirty hair and flannel shirts should never go out of style. Have a great weekend.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Damn, that silver dress must have had the teachers gawking! Great Prom flashback! Do you want to Spin it since Spin Cycle is about Prom? Let me know!

Bex said...

ooh la la! those are some sexy pictures!

i had a severe hair do for junior prom too - it must have been the in-thing in those days and i blocked it out of memory. it looked much cuter in person, as i'm sure yours did too.

Brandy said...

i love the silver dress. you look like a sexy beyotch.

Cameron said...

Very nice!!! And I gotta say, Nelson was ahead of his time with that hair....that hair is all the rage now...not so much back then ;)

Xbox4NappyRash said...

hahahaha.

aaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha.


aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha.

Prefers Her Fantasy Life said...

Totally hot dress. And I love Nelson's hair. You guys could be on Dancing With The Stars.

Momma Bear said...

ok i think you just about made my day. I'm crackin up right now. This is so funny! The shimmery hose...hehehe
My prom would've been in 96 too, we're getting old Jenni.

Angel said...

That silver dress would have gotten kicked out of my prom lol! But you rocked it! I wore a wrist corsage and so did my BFF's baby sister last weekend so I think most girls still do. I love the shimmery hose though!

Casey said...

I love that you and Nelson are prommates. You are so damn hot in that little silver number, RAWR! I cringed when I saw how skinny I was in my old pictures... time to get back to the exercise grind.

blissfully caffeinated said...

I forgot to tell you that my mom drove a Camaro. Thank GOD she does not still have it. It got passed down to my brother and then mercifully someone took it off his hands because by the time we were all done driving it, it was such a piece of crap. Once, in high school, I was totally cruising in it at lunch time, and I was right in front of Taco Bell when a piece of the engine just fell out and the car clunked to a stop. So embarrassing.

This went on way longer than I intended.

Have a great weekend!

Shiloh said...

best. post. ever.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

You date made some very bold hairstyle choices. And how about that keyhole neckline dress! Very sophistocated.

Dr Zibbs said...

Great pics!

Found you through Peggy's blog.

crazylovescompany said...

OMG. I love this topic. I'm all over it if I can find my pics. You want to talk hair? Just wait.

Keely said...

omg that IS a smokin' dress! You should have had the first hairstyle with the second dress. Rawr!

Captain Dumbass said...

Nelson's hair.... wow. That silver dress... WOW!

Susanica said...

Hi Jenni. I love this post! Wow. What fun pics and stories! -M