Monday, June 1, 2009

Jenni v. Dentist: Jenni Wins!

Holy crap you guys I had the MOST triumphant visit to the dentist office EVER on Friday. It was awesome.


Okay, well it wasn't awesome in the way that the hygienist picked an entire layer of my gums off in the process of scraping the tarter off my teeth. Or in the way that my gums throbbed for two days following her assault on my poor gums. BUT. No cavities! It's been eighteen months since my last appointment and N-O cavities.


And then there is the dreaded Tooth #7. One of my greatest fears, that Tooth #7. The whole reason for my waiting eighteen months to go back to the dentist. NOT EVEN a big deal! She was all, "When you are ready to deal with it, we will. Just give me a call." No, "You're going to get a brain infection" or "You're teeth are going to fall out if we don't deal with this now" or "DEATH IS IMMINENT IF WE DO NOT PULL THIS TOOTH NOW!!!" I'm so dramatic.


So I was a big chicken shit for nothing. And you know what? I got to sit in a reclining chair and watch CNN for 45 minutes unmolested by children. Yes, a sharp pointy instrument was being dragged along my gum line and yes I was bleeding, but it wasn't so different from my every-day-toddler-wrangling experience. Less pain and blood even. And, my teeth are so shiny! Bonus!

11 comments:

bsouth said...

Well done you. I'll be thinking of you next time I'm reclining in that big scary chair. Mind you, we don't get to watch telly and I usually have at least one child with me to take my mind off things. Joy.

Heather said...

I feel your joy! I have been told that I was unfortunate enough to have a high decay rate, so unless I'm brushing and flossing my teeth every twenty minutes there is a distinct possibility that I'll get a cavity...ok, maybe a slight exaggeration but not much! I'm always looking for a high five when I go to the dentist and don't have a cavity...it's been two years now since I had one so I'm thrilled. Good luck once you decide to deal with tooth #7...I don't blame you for putting that off as long as possible!

Mrsbear said...

Dood. I'm happy for you. I share your phobia of all things dental. Luckily I've been graced with good teeth, meaning (knock on wood) no cavities ever. But I'm three years due for a deep cleaning, and I am so not keen on getting my gums scraped. Maybe though you've inspired me to make an appointment...you know, tomorrow, not today. ;) Glad the scary tooth isn't rotting your brain.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Dontcha love it when you have a great visit?
I always go to the doctor's office expecting my problem to be one of those rare "get yourself to the hospital now!" issues and it turns out to be "oh, that? You could have saved yourself the co-pay by Googling it. Just take a Tylenol. You'll be fine."

Cara said...

The dentist? Is not my friend. I've always had bad teeth & pregnancy was not kind to them. Between Bear & Roo, I got 13, yes, thirteen, cavities in 2 years. I still have 4 that I need to get filled. I need to get a cleaning scheduled soon, too. As long as I don't get the rainbows & kitties hygienist again. Oh & my dentist office? Last time, instead of just dipping a q-tip in that big bucket of numby stuff to rub on my gums before they get started? Not 2 minutes after I had just got done explaining to Nurse Sunshine Ass that I am petrified of the dentist & don't do well with needles, she walks back in with, you guessed it, a syringe full of numby stuff & uses that to squeeze the goop into my gums. I seriously debated for close to 5 minutes whether or not I could suffer through the cleaning with no numby stuff.

kyooty said...

Sometimes, the dentist can freeze you so you don't feel that scratchy gum thing, :). I had no idea bout this trick until Last year. I had waited 16yrs~!

Heidi said...

Yay you! And hey, what happened with the head lumps?

Heather said...

Love it when the dentist has something for you to watch while they torture you!!! Congrats...I've been putting Mr. Dentist off too!!!

Becky said...

Whew! Good on ya! I'm putting off just such a visit.

Casey said...

I went to the dentist last week and told them to keep me as long as they needed. I've never actually watched the Today Show before and it was nice to just chill there and pretend I was childless.

I go to the dentist WAY too often so I understand the excitement behind no cavities in 18 months. Congrats and keep it up! Well, unless you want some quiet TV time then hit the sugar and ditch the toothbrush.

Stimey said...

Wow. I totally never want to go to the dentist again after reading this.

I have had dentist visits when I've literally thought to myself over and over, "I've given birth. I can sit through this."

I don't mind dentists. It's the hygienists and there scraping and poking that I can't stand.