Tuesday, July 28, 2009

RTT: I'm Getting my Ass Kicked Over Here

*All of my recent calls to Poison Control are making me feel like an epic parenting failure. I mean, who calls Poison Control three times in a week? It's killing me.

*I'm taking Miles to a pediatric allergist about his eczema next week. Even after the heavy duty corticosteroids, it was weeping and cracking again in a week. Awesome.

*Remember that post I wrote about having no friends? Well, my friends came out of the woodwork after that. It seems that even if they aren't calling they are reading my blog, and I actually have some pretty amazing friends. So, I've had all kinds of things to do - with and without the kids. It's been nice. I feel almost normal again.

*Speaking of normal, all the really gorgeous, low humidity, 80 degree days we've had the past several weeks in DC are gone overnight. We're back to our muggy, swamp-like conditions: 90 degree heat with a million percent humidity. The air is thick. It's awful. Especially because along with the awful heat are mosquitos and Oscar is particularly reactive to them. And they bite him everywhere. Like, on his face. So, he gets these gigantic red spots on his face and it looks just awful. And he scratches the hell out of them and I can't put any cream on them because because they are on his face. Poor kid looks like he has acne and he's only two.

*Miles is huge. Like, gigantic. He's wearing stuff that Oscar was wearing last summer, when Oscar was 13 months. Miles is seven months. He's nearly 20 pounds (not that huge) but he's over 30 inches (freaking enormous.)

*Oscar is TWO! Really, really TWO! It is not always going well. I mean, that's rather obvious with all the calls to Poison Control, but it's more than that. I can't even talk about it right now. I've been working on a whole post about it, but the whole situation just wrecks me. Sigh. The parenting stuff is hard.

*Miles is CRAWLING. Not a lot or for significantly long distances, but he's definitely crawling. He pulls himself forward with his arms quite well, and is even starting to use his knees. He has the whole lunge-forward-from-sitting-onto-belly-without-maiming-self maneuver already down pat. Things are about to get ugly around here. Who am I kidding? I called Poison Control three times last week. Things are already ugly around here. Hell is about to break loose is more apt. If I don't post for a week or more, please send out the gaurd. As in the National Gaurd. Because my house is probably a war zone.

Thanks to Keely for the random. Pop over to her place, grab a button, link up, have fun.

randomtuesday

9 comments:

Krystal said...

Oh honey..I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time. You are not a horrible mother - you are doing the best you can. Glad to see that your friends came out of the wood work. And the age of two is not easy. I'm not going to pretend to know what you are going through because each child is different - just know I got your back!!! HUGS!!!

Momma Bear said...

It is really, truly okay that you called poison control 3x's. You are not a bad momma. Kids are tough and overwhelming at times and they tax us frequently. Things happen and fortunately they are okay. Nora sucked down a tube of neosporin a few months ago and the week before she had injested something else, I know i wrote it down somewhere...but at any rate. The thing about parenting that I'm learning is that your mistakes cannot define you as a parent. You are kicking your ass daily to take care of your babes and you're doing a damn fine job. They are sneaky little buggers and perhaps you have to be more diligent with putting stuff away or hiding or whatver and the g rents need to childproof for real, but whatever. They're okay.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Look at it this way. Poison Control got to wish him a happy birthday, right?
When a state agency has you on speed dial and you're NOT a suspect? It's a good thing!
Chin up!

♥georgie♥ said...

I am so glad my poison control call days are over-I swear they had a picture of me hanging on their wall...lol

It sounds like DC and Oklahoma have very similar weather traits...it sucks to live in okie-land in hott summer months

loved all your RTT-ness

Veronica said...

Parenting is worse than hard, some days it's damn near soul destroying. One foot in front of the other.

Me? I live for bedtime some days.

Casey said...

Both kids went through the gamut of allergy testing and Graham tested positive for seasonal. Elliot was positive for ZIP and she had the eczema rash all over her. I think it was corn, she was eating corm from the can and when we stopped giving it to her, she cleared up. Oh, and Graham gets those huge fucking welts from mosquitoes and they attack him. I hate it. That is all.

Keely said...

Nah, the bad momma wouldn't bother to call Poison Control.

Hang in there! At least you have some friends back, right? :)

bsouth said...

Oh love, it's ok to call poison control often - at least you are calling them, some parents don't. Do you know how many times we've been to a&e this year for children falling off things they shouldn't have been on in the first place? Too many!

I'm really glad your friends came out of the woodwork. Sometimes people just need a gentle nudge. Thank heavens for blogs!

Heidi said...

Hey, happy birthday to Oscar and congrats on your first two years of parenting. It doesn't get any easier.

The ladies are right - the bad parents are the ones who don't call poison control.

Don't feel too bad about the weather. It will reach 107 here today. In Portland. OREGON. WTF??!! I left the Midwest to get away from this particular brand of nastiness.

Oh, I can't help you with the bugs attacking Oscar, or the welts, but I can with the itch. BEFORE he scratches it raw (I know, it will be a trick to catch this) dab on some apple cider vinegar. Yes, he will smell a bit like a pickle but it really does work. I'm allergic to bug spray so I have tried darn near every itch remedy I've heard of. If you catch him after the scratching it will burn, so try to be proactive.

Hang in there!