Tuesday, July 14, 2009

RTT: Stealing my Own Comments

*I was reading Casey's RTT post and it reminded me of when I was grocery store cashier in college. I never started conversations with customers. In fact, I barely noticed them. Nelson and my friends would make a game of coming through my line to see if I even notice them. When it was busy, I rarely did. Anyway, I always said, "Hi, how are you?" to my customers and if they decided to pursue a conversation, I obliged. Well, one day this lady who was accompanied by her teenage daughter and her daughter's friend was chatting me up. About my nail polish, I think. And then she said, "Oh, I better stop talking to you. It embarrasses my daughter when I talk to cashiers." I wanted to respond, "Well, I'm embarrassed that your daughter is such a snotty bitch," but I didn't because I was a good cashier. And I didn't want to get fired.

*The roofers are coming tomorrow to fix our porch roof. I'm glad it's finally going to be done, but sad to have to part with thousands of my dollars. I'm also really afraid that once they tear off my roof, they are going to tell me that there is some significant damage and it's going to be thousands more dollars than we anticipated. That would suck for all involved being that I only have enough thousands to fix what was quoted.

*I've figured out how to get Oscar to share with Danny. I just have to give a toy to Miles. Then, Oscar takes the toy from Miles and gives it to Danny. Apparently, sharing with Miles is WAY more terrible than sharing with Danny.

*CIO update: This shit sucks. It was put on hold due to a nasty cold Miles picked up and the second round is not going so well. Especially since Nelson is out of town so I'm pretty much on my own and it's much harder to listen to the crying by myself.

*Nelson is in Wyoming. Horse country. I've somehow finagled my family and friends into helping me out with the boys every day of the week except for Wednesday and Friday. So far, even with help, the past two nights without Nelson have involved really high dramatics from both of my kids so I can't even imagine what's going to happen when I try to wrangle them myself. I imagine it's going to be about as much fun as jamming a hot poker in my eye, but I could be wrong. Not likely, though.

*I had to bring Miles to the pediatrician for his eczema last Friday. I felt kind of stupid for bringing him in for a common rash, but it was cracking and oozing and all kinds of nasty. I got the good parent award though because the doctor (not the asshole, thank god) said it did need to be treated and that I was doing everything right with my home treatment - Miles just has a bad case. It's a million times better today, after five days of treatment and I'm very pleased. I don't like it when my kids ooze.

Check out Keely for some more random:
randomtuesday

15 comments:

Heidi said...

Re: dealing with the monkeys when spouse is gone.

I always dread the nights when I'm stuck with the bedtime routine (which I NEVER "get right") and spend most of the afternoon worrying about it. Yet each time it's happened (only twice since baby #3) my kids have been good as gold. The other time, when a friend came to help, they were awful. Maybe they sensed I was on overload, maybe not, but I don't care because it went smashingly.

So do what I do - plan for it to be A.W.F.U.L. and when it isn't, you can feel really good! (Kind of an ass-backwards way of looking at things, I know, but it works for me.)

Either way, good luck!

Krystal said...

yeah, dealing with kids at night even with help is not at all fun...i will light a novina for your sanity

shopannies said...

wish you the best of luck on your roof as it always what happened to mother in law when she replaced roof there was always damage that needed repair so good luck that this will not happen to you

Sprite's Keeper said...

The only thing a kid should ever ooze is cute.
I'm thinking of making a post strictly on my Twitter updates. I cracked myself the hell up this morning when I read over them!

sammanthia said...

I totally feel you on getting a new roof. We just finished getting ours done and I almost cried writing the check. That was money spent I could have used going to BlogHer!

Momma Bear said...

HEY THERE :)

crazylovescompany said...

Hi. What a time for you! I'm sorry if I mentioned this before, but do you have a loud noise machine? It was the only thing that helped the bundle sleep through the night and he still uses it now, 7 months.

Captain Dumbass said...

Cracking and oozing? I think it's always a safe bet to take that straight to the doctors

Frogs in my formula said...

I hate when my kids ooze! Congrats on getting your roof fixed. Hope the CIO gets better. I hated it myself.

Casey said...

That first paragraph looks strangely familiar...

Dude, your roof fiasco has been going on for months... what's the deal? I hope they fix it quickly and cheaply without any hidden costs.

Ha on the sharing tactic. Brilliant! That's how we get Graham to eat his dinner, by saying we'll give it to Elliot of he doesn't want it.

FoN said...

Oozing kids is not cool. Or oozing money for that matter, sorry about the roof thing. Hang in there while you're flying solo!

Keely said...

Uh, yeah. Oozing kids are not a plus in our household, either.

You've got a lot on your plate this week!

bsouth said...

Oozing, not so good. Glad it's getting a bit better.

Good luck with the porch roof.

EllenMarie said...

Yes, evidently sharing with your little brother is THE WORST thing that can happen to a child. Goddamn curtain-climbers, why can't they just all get along?????

blissfully caffeinated said...

I hated being a grocery store checker. I used to cry before I had to go to work. Not that it's a terrible job, it's actually a good, well paying job. But I hated it.

Can't ignore the eczema, dude. Sounds like he has a pretty bad case. Avery had some eczema and I took her in to our ped a couple of times and was convinced it was the worst case ever and our ped was all, "Lady, get a grip. This is nothing." It made me feel better.