Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Babies Don't Understand the Meaning of "Vacation"

Here we are at the beach, the glorious beach. This is full day three and the weather has been fantastic. Yesterday it was in the 80s, breezy, low humidity, a perfect day for the beach. The boys played in the sand, Nelson swam in the surf, we took a dip in the pool, perfect.

And day one? Oh, so great. Miles took an AM nap while I lounged at the pool and read a real book. Nelson and Oscar were collecting shells on the beach. It's really been so lovely.

During the day. At night is a completely different story.

I remember the days when vacations were for sleeping. Naps and sleeping in and dozing by the pool. Miles, unfortunately, thinks that after 11pm, he needs to wake every hour on the hour until 7AM when he wakes for the day. Oscar has been a little better. A little. He was up until 11PM, popping out of the pack-n-play and onto our bed, sticking his feet into our face, generally being a jerk.

In short, I'm exhausted. It seems every time I close my eyes, Miles screeches, so I can't even get a good nap in.

But, exhausted at the beach is still at the beach so I'll take it.

7 comments:

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Sounds like you're going to need a vacation after your vacation... ;)

Momma Bear said...

you make me laugh and all that good stuff. :) I gave you an award.
hope you are good funny lady.

Sprite's Keeper said...

You got to read a book? Sorry, I know the no sleep thing must be killing you, but I focus on the fact that you got to crack a book spine? No fair!

blissfully caffeinated said...

I'm always exhausted by vacation. Especially with kids. I hope it gets batter and you are able to enjoy yourself and finish your book!

Casey said...

ARGH. That's the exact reason we won't travel until the kids are older. Oh, and the one time we did, we pushed Graham in the stroller until he fell asleep and then transferred him to the bed. Maybe that would work with Oscar? Hmm, for Miles... drink a beer or two before you nurse.

Krystal said...

Hell, we always need a vacation from our vacations but then that would involve the kids and well, then that would just be pointless...but you are right, being at the beach is worth it all!

FoN said...

I remember that horrible, "I am never EVER going to sleep again" feeling. It sucks. But now little J who used to get up STUPID early (and wake up all night) is a teenager. Ooohhhh, sweet revenge is mine. Pay back is a bitch.