Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Poor Start

Miles fell off the bed this morning.

He came to bed with me at around midnight last night and an left him there. I nursed him this morning at 5AM (and one other time in the wee hours) and left him to sleep while I showered.

Miles was still sleeping,so I left him, bumpered by pillows, in the bed. I took the monitor so I'd hear any snuffles or shuffles. It's not uncommon for me to do this - to leave him in the bed while I try to get in a cup of coffee and a quick blog read while both boys are still in bed.

Oscar woke just after seven.

"Mommy? Mommy?"

On my way to retrieve him, I peeked in on Miles. Still sleeping peacefully. I'd left the monitor downstairs, but he was only one room over. I figured I'd hear him. That'd he call out when he was away. Something.

I spend five or so minutes tickling Oscar in his crib and talking to him about the day, "Danny will be here, then Kiki is coming for dinner and to read you books."

Then I heard a thunderous BOOM! For a second, I though something had exploded, it was so loud and resonant. And then Miles began screaming.

I rushed into the bedroom and turned on the light. Miles was on his tummy on the floor, at the foot of the bed. He crawled right off the edge of the bed and seemed to have hit one of Oscar's fire trucks on his way down.

I waited a few seconds to make sure he could move his neck and limbs before I scooped him up and began muttering apologies over and over while he sobbed into my chest. I'm so thankful he's not seriously injured and I feel like a complete moron for leaving him.

This is not the way I wanted to start my day.

14 comments:

Cara said...

Poor Miles. And poor you, Jenni. I know that panicky, heart attack-y feeling you get the instant you hear that sound. I've wanted to punch myself more than once for this exact same thing.

Susanica said...

Oh Jenni, I'm so sorry. That must have been heartstopping. I'm so glad he is okay. There. He's all done falling off stuff now. I'm sorry your day got off to such a crappy start. -Monica

Sprite's Keeper said...

Oh, nothing is worse than mother's guilt when a baby falls off the bed. Sprite has done it before. Miles will probably do it again. I'm glad he's okay but I hope YOU feel better soon!

Diana said...

Poor Mommy! (And Miles, too, but while he has no doubt forgotten about it I'm sure you haven't!) How scary...but it's happened to all of us so don't beat yourself up.

montana said...

Aidan fell off me onto the floor when he was only 3 weeks old - I had fallen asleep after he nursed. I still feel so guilty and have never told anyone except for my husband, and now I'm writing in a comment! You are brave for putting it out there - I don't think I could.

Keely said...

Ugh, terrible way to start the day! X fell off the bed once when he was tiny and we were still co-sleeping. The amount he moved during sleep was one of the big reasons I started making him stay in his crib. I was up and around to the other side of the bed before I was even conscious and he'd even uttered a second wail, and in the bathroom with the lights on inspecting every inch of him for damage.

He didn't appreciate THAT much, either.

*hugs*

Becky said...

Ugh, so sorry! There is nothing worse than that booming sound--you just know it's a kid hitting the floor. This has happened to everybody that I know. Laura fell off our bed exactly the same way, and Hank rolled off the couch right in front of me. Like, I'm always a little slow in realizing that they can scoot around pretty well.

Momma Bear said...

this has happened to us so many times, maybe 5 times...idk.

just remember it was a mistake and he's okay. it sucks when our kids get hurt or frightened b/c of our choices but he's okay. I'm sorry!! Been There!!

Casey said...

Oh how scary! I'm glad he's ok and don't worry... Elliot falls ALL THE DAMN TIME and she's never worse for the wear.

Mrsbear said...

Poor baby. I've made that mistake before and that sound of your baby hitting the floor is AWFUL. Luckily mine were never seriously hurt, glad Miles wasn't either, but once those babies get mobile you just can't take your eyes off of them. Although he's bound to fall plenty more when he starts walking.

Captain Dumbass said...

Don't beat yourself up, we've all done it. Hell, our parents did it to us.

Heidi said...

When my first son was born, my baby-bunching grandmother told me the story of how her three week old son (my uncle) rolled off the bed.

She was an experienced mom who knew no three week old should be rolling anywhere, so he left him, swaddled, in the middle of the queen sized bed, bumpered by pillows. She didn't hear the thud (how much noise does a 7 pound baby make?) but remembers walking into the room, having only been gone a minute to grab my 16 month old father, and the baby was GONE. Scared the daylights out of her. Apparently he had rolled from the middle of the bed, off the side and under the cloth covered side table. Gram says it was the longest thirty seconds of her life. And she never left a baby anywhere but a crib or the floor again. The story scared me so much, I never have either.

Well, almost never... ;)

BTW - my uncle was just fine. So is Miles. Hang in there!

Big Mama Cass said...

Oh my goodness!! How scary!! I was holding my son (4 mos old at the time) once and tried to step over a baby gate to get into my kitchen. My pants got stuck, and i fell forward. I hit my head on the fridge and it knocked me out cold. When I woke up (with a HUGE knot on my head) the baby was SCREAMING on the floor and I was for sure he was totally hurt. But he ended up being totally fine with not a bump or bruise on him. When I called Hubby to tell him of the ordeal he said "guess that's why they call them bouncing babies!!" and laughed. *eyeroll*

FoN said...

Poor Miles! And, poor you. Momma guilt is a powerful thing. :(