Friday, October 23, 2009

A Blissful Benefit

Welcome to A Blissful Benefit! Join me in raising a hot, steaming mug of Java in honor of Blissfully Caffeinated and baby Half Caff. To play along, just write a post about (what else?) coffee, leave a comment, and I'll link you up.

I hope you're feeling better Jen. We miss you!

**************************

Coffee. I just did quite a lengthy post about coffee, but lucky for you, coffee and I have quite a history.

Oh, there's more.

And it involves...my mom.

Do you remember my wacky mom, Ann Johonson? If she pre-dates you, you should really read this post for a little background.

My mom? She loves her some coffee. She probably drinks an entire pot of coffee every single day. I'm talking ten or twelve full cups. She loves the stuff. Juan Valdez send her holiday cards. She's the patron saint of Columbia. Starbucks is naming a blend after her.

I'm trying to say, the lady likes coffee.

Know what else she likes? Coffee makers.

My mother has more coffee pots sitting in her garage then you'll find the the small appliance section of Target. She has black ones; white ones; stainless steel ones; ones that make twelve cups; ones that make one cup; ones that make two cups; ones with automatic timers; ones that grind the beans; ones use coffee disk inserts; ones with basket filters; ones with cone filters; ones with glass carafes; ones with insulated carafes; one made by Mr. Coffee; ones she got in the mail; ones that make lattes and cappuccinos; broken ones, though most work just fine.

She must have more then a dozen coffee makers in her garage. It's a coffee maker graveyard. And she would love to send you one; one of her old, discarded coffee makers. She's always looking to find them a good home. She loves them, the just weren't a good fit.

I know it seems crazy; to buy and buy and buy coffee maker; discarding them at the first sign of inferiority; always searching for the very best machine. Hell, that IS crazy.

But the thing is, my mom is just THAT dedicated to coffee. She wants to find the machine that does her coffee justice, that makes her coffee sing. Ann Johnson is not willing to settle for a carafe that drips when it pours; a coffee maker with a timer but no grinder; a machine that clashes with her kitchen!

No!

She must have the perfect machine for the perfect beverage. You gotta respect that.

*********************************
Look at all the French roasted love:
Jen, from Sprite's Keeper (My stunning co-host)

17 comments:

jpooh said...

LOL - I think I like your mom.

Is this where I give you my link? 'Cause here it is!

http://www.jbsitedesigns.com/?p=1556

Jan from the Sushi Bar

Michele said...

Your mom and my husband need to meet because they have one major thing in common. They are always on the look out for a better coffee maker.

Here's my ode to coffee and Jen. http://michele-dogslife.blogspot.com/2009/10/morning-bliss.html

thelocalsloveit said...

Love the post. I'm up.

http://thelocalsloveit.com/2009/10/23/a-cup-of-bliss/

Sprite's Keeper said...

My parents have the same problem with coffeemakers. They can't seem to stick with just one! I've had my Cuisinart for five years and love it. The only thing we've had to replace is the carafe when John broke it. My parents have bought at least four in that time frame! They're now on the one cup deal machines with the little stabby foil cups that are supposed to make the perfect cup. Meh. And I hope Jen sees these wonderful posts!

Wicked Step Mom said...

That sounds like my mother...

http://lifeandtimesofawickedstepmom.com/2009/10/23/ode-to-coffee/

Supermomof3 said...

I really need to meet your mom! She seems like a riot. Check out my coffee post! Its a good one! Well wishes to Blissfully Caffinated.

jen said...

love it!
i only have a little baby 4 cupper. sad, huh?

Captain Dumbass said...

Ok, Blogger finally let me publish, cranky bastard. Here it is:

http://richmondzoo.blogspot.com/2009/10/blissful-benefit.html

Middle Aged Woman said...

and Ellie Belen at Distracting Minutia, too! I just read hers.

http://distractingminutia.blogspot.com/2009/10/sweet-little-brew.html

Middle Aged Woman said...

Man, someone always shows up late to the party:

http://unmitigated.typepad.com/unmitigated/2009/10/for-the-newest-little-addict.html

Erin said...

thanks for the opportunity to play in the blissful benefit!

http://crackingunderpressure.blogspot.com/2009/10/blissful-benefit.html

Keely said...

Your Mom sounds awesome. My mom is in the habit of drinking 2/3 decaf, it's horrendous.

blissfully caffeinated said...

Hey, what the hell is this??? I'm speechless. I also really respect your mom's dedication.

Seriously, between this, and the pain meds and the hormones I'm a blubbering mess right now. Jenni, thank you so much for this. I miss you all tremendously and when I can breath at full capacity again I should be back in action. Love you guys. Really. And Lila says, "Glargh."

Ellie Belen said...

A great post about your mom and her quest. What would happen if she found the perfect one?

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

I totally forgot to join in the coffee lovin' fun. That's what a sinus infection will do to ya! ;)

Your mom sounds just like my dad! Love it! :)

Mrsbear said...

You have to appreciate a person who appreciates her coffee that much. Has she found her match? The ideal brewer?

Casey said...

See? Your mom and I have more in common than one would think. We're on our fourth coffee pot this year and this one is on it's way out too since it makes our coffee taste burnt.