Thursday, October 22, 2009

He's Rashy, He Gets Around

On Tuesday, I mentioned that Oscar had a rash and that it was making me nervous. I first noticed it about a month ago, and it freaked me out then because it didn't blanch (turn white/fade when I pressed on it) and a non-blanching rash is NOT GOOD. It can be a sign of meningitis, septicemia, and other scary illness that give neurotic mom's nightmares.

The rash looks like teeny, tiny freckles. Super teeny, like smaller then bread crumbs, the size of pin pricks. Only a mom would notice. I was a little freaked, but it was localized to his bottom and he wasn't displaying any other symptoms so I knew it wasn't really meningitis. I decided to Wait and See. I showed the rash to Nelson and he claimed to be unable to even see it and completely unworried. He is a great foil for my neurosis.

The rash has persisted. It sort of went away in some spots but came back in others. On Monday, when I was changing him, I noticed that his entire bottom was covered with the little speckles, as were the backs of his thighs, and a few other areas on the bottoms of his legs. I decided to ask Dr. Google (always a mistake, I know) and he diagnosed it as petechia. Please click on this link, read the Wikipedia entry (particularly the Associated Conditions), and join me in my PANIC because obviously my son has H1N1, vasculitis, Leukemia, Typhus, and/or Ebola.

Also, looked at the photo. Okay, Oscar's spots? Even tinier then the ones in that photo. Maybe half or even a third of that size. Tiny. I calmed slightly at this, but I still called the doctor and we were given an appointment for Tuesday.

Tuesday. Freckle rash still there. We go in and I tell the doctor about the rash and it's history. "Let's see it!" she says. So, I take off his diaper and at first she's like, "What rash? I don't see anything?" (Yes, to answer you question, it was the Asshole. Always the Asshole when I'm at my most vulnerable.)

"Look. It's right there. All over!" I say.

"Oh. Ooooh."

She looks. She rubs it, she presses it. She looks at the backs of his legs, looks him all over.

She seems baffled, but not concerned. She tells me it looks like petechia, but very, very tiny. She's asked about Oscar's general health, "Has he been feeling sick? Lethargic?" And he hasn't. I show her a swollen glad in his groin and she is unconcerned.

"Well, we could do a CBC to check his platelet levels, but he just had one a couple of months ago and his numbers were perfect. Beautiful. Like you said, he's so fair, you can just see EVERYTHING on is skin. So, just watch him. Call if it localizes, or if the spots get bigger, or if he displays other symptoms."

I felt better initially, but on the way home I just kept thinking I wished I had insisted on the CBC just for piece of mind, you know? Because I just keep thinking about it, and finding more of the little freckles here and there (on his neck, on his arm, on his cheek) and I'm starting to obsess.

Don't forget tomorrow's Blissful Benefit! Brew up something tasty.

10 comments:

Supermomof3 said...

Poor Oscar and Poor you!!!! The internet scares the sh&t out of me! WebMD has diagnosed me with cancer, menegitis, brain tumors etc more times than I care to say I researched!

Always trust your mommy intuition! Its stronger than any Dr Google, Web or Real MD.

Greg said...

You know my skin and it's colorful history of rashes and my rashy spidey sense is telling me that it's nothing to worry about...

Maybe he's like me and the wind blew on him wrong and he broke out... I have been to a doctor with a bizarre rash and he literally giggled and shrugged his shoulders and then went and got other people to look at it and giggle and shrug their shoulders. The skin comes into contact with a million things and deals with a million different stimuli and it (and Oscar) will let you know if it's something to seriously worry about...

rachel said...

Have you changed laundry soap or bubble bath or anything? I would go with your instincts. I took Ben to the doctor after a day of coughing and a mild fever because I kept thinking I should even though people kept telling me it was just a cold, he ended up with H1N1 diagnosis and he was on Tamiflu before the virus got into his lungs. We know more than we give ourselves credit for. I'm sure he is fine though, you just need someone to assure you and turn the mommy voice off in your head. Ask that you don't get Dr. Asshole next time. It sucks when someone acts dismissive when you are genuinely worried.

Susanica said...

Well I'm glad that the doctor didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about. Our kids. What will they do to torment us next? -Monica

Sprite's Keeper said...

I just hope it gets better! Sprite once had a rash on her tushy with weird striating designs that I couldn't understand until I caught her scratching at her butt with her Ariel doll's hand. I had a good laugh right before I disenfected the doll. (Happened two nights ago. I am not even kidding you.)

jen said...

have you tried a different diaper? my girls were so sensitive to diapers and it was one of the many reasons that we switched to cloth.
the minimalization of rashiness on the bottom was amazingly improved. crazy.
by the way ... my coffee post is up.
http://coconutbelly.blogspot.com/2009/10/caffeinated.html

Captain Dumbass said...

He hasn't been really hungry for meat lately, has he? Or sniffing at your head?

Keely said...

Omg! I just noticed a weird light rash on X earlier when I went to bath him. I thought maybe it was just his shirt (weird nylon hockey type shirt). If it's still there tomorrow I'm officially freaking out.

Mrsbear said...

Sounds scary. So what's the verdict? The doctor does sound pretty assholish.

Casey said...

I hope the rash went away by the time I'm reading this. Elliot had that same rash on her legs and torso for months and the doctors were all "hmm, I don't really see much, not sure what it is". Frustrating, hope you get some answers.