Thursday, October 29, 2009

Marching On


I was checking me email this morning when I heard a bit of a clamor from over at the toddler table. I glanced up and saw Miles, standing beside the table, jubilant, clutching and frantically waving a piece of toast in each hand.
A piece of toast IN EACH HAND.
That is, he wasn't using anything to support himself. Just waving those Cinnamon toast triangles like tiny flags of victory.

My breath caught as I waited for him to fall. He didn't. He just looked at me and smiled and laughed.

Jesus, I love this kid.

"My toast! Miles has MY toast!"

Hearing Oscar snapped me out of my daze and I rushed in between my two boys to stop the imminent Battle of Cinnamon Toast before it began.

I picked up Miles, took away the toast.

"Were you standing, Miles William? Are you my little stander?"

He is so proud. I am so proud.

"Ahhhhh! Ggggggooooo! Hee hee hee!"

He has taken steps, one or two, at least three times in the last week.

He'll be one seven weeks.

One whole year old.

My baby.

15 comments:

jpooh said...

Ahhh, I remember those days.

That's the great thing about grandkids - I get to relive it all, but don't have to intervene in any
Cinnamon Toast Wars. That's what Mommy and Daddy are for! :D

Jan from the Sushi Bar

jessicaprudencio said...

Awwwe! I remember Brody doing that only he was next to me and let go. I was in a chair and he looked up at me with his candy sweet face and smiled. He was on his own and only 8 months old. I don't think he has sat still since....

Sprite's Keeper said...

Woo hoo! Go Miles!
And Oscar better get used to guarding his stuff, now enters the phase of "you snooze, you lose!"

bsouth said...

Way to go Miles!! Can't believe it's nearly a year already, where has the time gone?

kirsty815 said...

Awww Bless!

Heather said...

OH.MY.GOD! He is so freakin cute! Congrats to your little stander! I still feel like time passes so much more quickly once you have children, your baby turns a year old and you can't even remember where the time went because it feels as though it was just a week or two ago that they were handing your new little bundle to you in the hospital.

Xbox4NappyRash said...

awwwwwwwwww

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Awwwwww! Before you know it he'll be running all over the place...brace yourself. ;)

Keely said...

Yay Miles! Oscar is going to learn "MIIIINNNNEEE!!" pretty quick - or employ it a lot more often, if he knows it already ;)

rachel said...

Awwww, being a mom is so perfectly insane. i love it!!!

Veronica said...

Ooooh, wow standing! Isaac is not there yet and I don't expect it from him until January minimum.

But steps! And standing! He's so clever. (and cute)

Diana said...

Go Miles, Go! How exciting! I can't believe he will be 1 soon.

moo said...

woman, that is CRAZY TALK. (says the girl with the 8 month old)

trying to catch up ...

Stimey said...

I'm sorry, but there is no way he can be that old. Didn't you just give birth to him a couple of months ago? You should check, because I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one.

Casey said...

Awww, so sweet that he's big enough to steal from his brother. It's all over now, wait for WWE style wrestling to start...