Monday, October 26, 2009

Sick

The wee ones and I have fallen ill. Miles has had a high fever for five days, although it was down this AM and I'm hoping it will stay that way. Additionally, his nose is a faucet and he has a dreadful cough. I was getting frantic because the fever just kept going up, and the cough cropped up later with an increased fever but he is okay. I think he's getting better. He's also cutting his top four teeth. All at once. Awesome.

I'm terribly congested and achy and generally exhausted. Oscar has a runny nose and a bad cough. I've been giving him breathing treatments ever four hours in hopes we can avoid the breathing situation brought on by his last cold. We've also got the two year molars coming in. One popped through about two weeks ago and he working a second. This morning, Oscar was clutching his jaw in tears, saying, "My teeth! My teeth hurt, Momma! Help! Help!" Some Motrin did the trick.

Nelson has had a runny nose for three weeks. He went to the Dr. today for a physical and to have his blood drawn (just basic tests, as high triglycerides run in his family) and the nurse practitioner gave him antibiotics.

Antibiotics? Really? For a stuffy nose? I realize he's had it for a few weeks, but antibiotics? I just feel like that is pretty excessive. He has no other symptoms. I swear his doctor's offices give antibiotics out like candy. It's ridiculous.

Anyways, I'm cranky and feeling crummy and super behind on housework and laundry. Oh, the glamour.

15 comments:

Just Breathe said...

((HUGS))

Sprite's Keeper said...

Sending good vibes and possible Hazmat suits. :-)

rachel said...

Oh No, all 3 of you plus teething???? Hope this passes quickly!

Becky said...

I am sorry! Maybe they thought he had a sinus infection? And a sick baby is the absolute worst. Poor you!

Diana said...

Yuck! I feel your pain a bit. Olivia has had this horrible cold for more than a week with a nasty cough that wakes her up a lot at night. And, we took her to the doctor today and she has an ear infection, on top of the pink eye.

Jason and I have all of that stuff too, except for the pink eye (so far).

I can't imagine having TWO kids that are sick when I'm not feeling well either. I'm sending healthy vibes your way!!!

Kat said...

I avoid antibiotics like the plague unless I KNOW it is a bacterial infection, otherwise you can help strains become immune to them.

For the kiddos alternate Tylenol and Motrin. It works like a charm.

Momma Bear said...

crap mama, crap!! hang on (teetering on the edge is still hanging on...)Sick sucks so bad, I'm sorry :(

Veronica said...

Antibiotics? Truly?

Sending good fast healing thoughts to you guys.

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Oh I'm so sorry!! I feel your pain...I've had a major sinus infection for 10 days now. Apparently I need antibiotics for it to go away. Meanwhile I've had no energy to do much of anything, so the house looks like a total disaster.

What I've learned - if the snot is clear, it's a common cold that won't get chased away by antibiotics, but if it's a yellow or green, it's an infection that will only go away with antibiotics.

Here's hoping you all feel better SOOOOON!! ((HUGZ!))

Big Mama Cass said...

AWWW Sorry to hear that! Get better soon!

jpooh said...

Oh, dear - it's awful when you have little kids and everyone all gets sick at once.

I handed my 14-year-old a consent form to get vaccinated for H1N1 at school today. I have so many mixed feelings about that I could write a novel. *sigh*

I hope you're all feeling better very, very soon. (((Jenni)))

Jan from the Sushi Bar

Mrsbear said...

It sounds like you could use the giant candy bar and vodka. Yikes. Hope you and the boys are feeling better soon. We've been going through back to back bouts of fevers and coughs, it sucks ass and I don't have teething to contend with.

Captain Dumbass said...

Sickness and teething? Some people just get all the luck. I had a doctor who was like that with the anti-biotics as well. Thanks for supergerms, bastard!

Casey said...

Ahh, I'm all about the antibiotics and get pissed when they won't give them to me. Sorry your kids are snot faucets too. Mine are of the green variety and it's made for a shitty week of quarantine and today was only Tuesday. Feel better. Now. Dammit.

FoN said...

Oh, yuck. Bad news dude - feel better soon! And I mean all y'all.