Tuesday, November 10, 2009

RTT: This is Mostly About Facebook

Who loves Keely? I do! I do!

randomtuesday

*So, the other day on Facebook I got a friend request from someone who was absolutely NOT my friend. We've known each other probably since fifth grade but we have never clicked. I have always had an active dislike of her. Granted, I've not seen her in nearly 15 years so things could be totally different, but I just don't feel the need to reconnect with someone that I never liked being connected with in the first place. To be clear, this is not just some random person I went to high school with (I deny those friend requests too) but a person that I NEVER got along with. I feel like she only added me so she could snoop into my business, but then I can't figure out why she'd be interested in my business in the first place. But I do know that I don't want her seeing photos of my kids and the personal info I have on FB. I'm feeling a little bad for denying her request, but I shouldn't have to be FB friend with an real life non-friend just to spare her feelings, right? Right? (All my IRL friends reading this right now are DYING to know who this person is, aren't you? Well, I'm not telling.)

*Things have gotten significantly better with Oscar since last week's incident. I've made it a priority to play with him more often and focus more time on just Oscar, and it's really made a huge impact. There have been a couple of times when he's gotten nasty with Miles, but not like that first day.

*Yesterday was the first time Oscar spontaneously told me he loved me. He's been saying, "Love, you Momma!" for three or four months but it usually comes after I tell him that I love him. He says it in return. Well, yesterday I was "sneaking" up on him and he caught me in the act and just launched himself at my legs and said, "I love you, Mommy!" And then I died.

*At almost 11 months of age, Miles is still not sleeping through the night.

*Parenting is not a theory; it's a practice. If you've never done it, you just don't know. No, your pets don't count because PETS do not equal CHILDREN; they equal PETS. Getting up at night to let your puppy out is not the same as waking every 90 minutes to breast feed an infant. Cleaning up dog shit on the floor or emptying a cat box is not the same as having your kid crap on your lap and pee on your face multiple times a day. Not. The. Same.

15 comments:

Cameron said...

My sister is about 6 months pregnant. I can't wait for her to have her kid....so she knows what it's like ;)

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

I totally agree with the whole pets are not children thing...especially everytime I get a christmas/birthday/holiday card from my sister and her two cats dressed up as santas/firemen/cupid...etc : )

jpooh said...

The only time in your life you will be a perfect parent is when you're pregnant with your first. It all goes downhill after that.

We had our grandson with us for a week - he shot himself right in the face while I was changing him. Poor little guy had to wait for Grandma's fit of laughter to die down to get the tinkle off of his face.

Jan from the Sushi Bar

I am Harriet said...

I've been pretty lucky about the hs friend requests. Sometimes, people are just desperate for FB friends.

Have a wonderful RTT!
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/11/need-2-legged-dog.html

CaJoh said...

I suspect that some of the people I ask to be friends with on FB either don't care, or cannot recognize my baby picture that I use as my profile picture. I do admit that there are some people that I am glad that I acquainted with through FB since I never bothered to know them when I was with them in school.

There are times that I wish I had children of my own. Yes I must admit that when I met my wife I became an instant parent. But, being a parent of two teenagers doesn't count either. I can be more like an older brother to them, or like an uncle, but never their father. They now have kids of their own which is close. Being a grandparent doesn't count either since you are not there with the child all the time.

Thanks for your randomness,

KIKI said...

Don't feel bad about denying the FB friend. I don't accept all my requests either for one reason or another.

Mrsbear said...

The spontaneous I-Love-Yous are too much. They KILL me.

And no, pets are not the same as little people. Caring for them is not even in the same ball park. I once had a friend of my husband's say our two year old was as smart as his dog. Dill-hole.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Miles, I say this with love:
GIVE YOUR MAMA A BREAK!
Last night, I was laying on the couch dealing with all the suckiness of my sinus infection when Sprite walked in and asked, "Are you okay, Mommy?"
I told her I was feeling under the weather and she leaned in, pecked my cheek and ran to get me her blanket and pillow. Two minutes after she had me comfortable, she confiscated said pillow and blanket so she could put her Tigger doll to sleep since he was now sick.

blissfully caffeinated said...

I'll never forget, I was talking to one of my husbands cousins a couple of years ago and they were asking about Avery, who was still really little at that point and I'm taking about not getting any sleep, etc, and he goes "Oh yeah, that's how it is with our dog Otto. He wakes us up at night, blah blah blah." And on the inside I'm screaming, "FUCK YOU it's not like your effing dog, having a baby is not like having a dog, you try it a-hole and then come and talk to me about how having a baby is like having a dog!!!!!" But on the outside all I said was, "Mm hm."

BTW, my older kids did not sleep through the night until they were over 2. Mm hm.

Cara said...

FB requests def irk me at times. The random deletes do as well.

And pets in clothes? Don't get me started.

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

I've had snoopy former non-friends try to friend me on Facebook, too...I've only felt slightly guilty about denying their request... ;)

Ohhhh! The spontaneous I Love You from the munchkin kill me, too. ;)

I absolutely agree - parenting is not a theory but a practice, and pets are NOT the same as children. You outlined the perfect reasons why - add to that that pets don't talk back. ;)

Happy RTT! :)

pixiedreams8 said...

Found your blog via The World Through My Eyes. Good Stuff! I have a ten month old and we aren't sleeping through the night either and Oh God I am exhausted!! I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one who doesn't except every FB invitation. My neighbor found me on FB the other day and I totally turned her away...It's bad enough I have to live next door to her, I just don't need her any closer!

Keely said...

Xander didn't sleep through the night until he was about 15 months.

Sorry.

Also, I deny all kind of FB requests. I got a LOT from people from highschool that I didn't talk to in highschool because they thought I was a loser. Why would I "reconnect" with them? So they can check to see if I'm still a loser?

Big Mama Cass said...

I dunno... my dogs are seriously in competition with my kid for "most work". Do I spoil them and bring it all on myself? perhaps. But do I deserve it? .....shit... yes I spose so. Ugh.

Ok so get this FB request I got. Right after I married my ex husband, (say that 10 times fast) his ex girlfriend called me and told me she loved him and begged me to divorce him. She even offered me... wait for it... $500 bucks! HAHA Swear to god, she said "I can only come up with about $500 but I know you could use the money". Crazy WEIRDO ex girlfriend Stalker chick, right?

Yeah well SHE sent me a friend request the other day. (like a week ago). I was like... WHAAAAAAT.THEEEE.FUDDDDDDDGE!!!?? I was waiting for Ashton Kutcher to jump out and say I was Punk'd.

*gag*

On a youaregoingtothrowsomethingatme note... Monkey is 21 months and only sleeps thru the night MAYBE 1 or 2 days a week. And that is a good week.

Casey said...

One of my kidless friends was recently going on and on about how tired she was and she didn't sleep well the night before. I wanted to punch her in the fucking face.

I deny all FB requests unless I see you on a semi-regularly basis. People from the past are in the past for a reason. Assholes.