Wednesday, December 2, 2009

On Listening

Scene: Our car on a Saturday morning, returning from a trip to Trader Joe's. Jenni is driving.

Jenni: Look at all this traffic. There must be a game.

Nelson:...

Sixty seconds later...

Nelson: Look at all this traffic. There must be a game.

Jenni: You're kidding, right?

Nelson: No. This looks like game traffic. Why would I be kidding?

Jenni: I just said that exact same thing to you not two minutes ago and you completely ignored me. It's like I'm talking to myself over here.

Nelson: What? No way! You didn't say anything.

Jenni: I did. Those exact words just came out of my mouth. You just weren't listening to me. How many times have we had this conversation?

Nelson:...

Several minutes pass. Nelson places his hand on Jenni's thigh apologetically.

Nelson: I'm sorry.

Jenni: ...

Nelson: Look, I'm going to be honest here. Sometimes I just space out.

Jenni: You space out when I'm talking to you?! How am I supposed to feel about that?

Nelson: No, no, it's not you. I have a lot of things on my mind.

Jenni: You have a lot of things on your mind.

Nelson: Yes. I just get lost thinking about things.

Jenni: Well, can you try thinking about listening to me?

Nelson: Oh, come on!

18 comments:

jpooh said...

LOL - this made me laugh, because it's the other way around with us. Beloved talks, and I space out. But then, he talks a LOT.

Jan from the Sushi Bar

VandyJ said...

Nick and I have the same conversation with the roles the same as well as reversed. The other one I love to have with him is his insistence that yes I did tell you about such and such when I know that he did not say anything to me. It usually involves plans to see friends. I drives me crazy.

kel said...

My husband tunes me out all the time!! Not cool! but kinda funny!

JennyMac said...

haha...I just did that to my husband. And I wasnt spacing out. I was actively NOT listening. LOL.

Susanica said...

That is precious!!!

Mrsbear said...

Unfortunately I'm usually the one that zones out. But I'm good at giving the impression that I'm listening. That counts for something, right? :(

At least he's got stuff on his mind, thoughts and such. Better than nothing.

Mrs. D said...

Ha ha ha ha... I think I've had this exact conversation with my husband- sounds way familiar. :)

Heather said...

I can't even remember how many times that exact thing has happened with my husband and I. It must be a guy thing! I swear that I have to say everything twice before he actually hears me.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Bwahahaha! Love it! Could've been my car!

Keely said...

A "lot" of things? I was always under the impression that men just had ONE thing on their minds. Have I been lied to?

Becky said...

It's funny 'cause it's true! And yes, Keely, I think we were misled.

Matt spaces out sometimes while I'm talking, and then he immediately comes clean about it. Because he knows we both know. And it is true that when he's talking to me about a programming problem or something, I sometimes go somewhere else in my mind.

Michele Renee said...

Are you sure you said your thoughts out loud?
Just kidding. :)

gretchen said...

When my husband does this I usually start going on about how fantastic my lover is and how many times I've had secret assignations with him lately, and eventually some of this penetrates my husbands brain and he realizes that he might be missing out on something interesting and unusual and finally says "Huh?" Serves him right.

Captain Dumbass said...

Huh? What was that?

Cara said...

:head:desk:head:desk:

This? IS MY LIFE.

Greg said...

But maybe the traffic was just because of a game...

Seriously, though, with us it's the exact opposite... and it's made even worse because her nose is in her blackberry all the time...

Heidi said...

Wait until the boys are teenagers - then you can have three men in the car tuning you out...

Big Mama Cass said...

I laughed at this. Not because it happened to you, but because Hubby and I have this exact same conversation like EVERY DAY! Only usually it ends with me screaming or throwing something at his head. And before you yell at me, just know, I don't throw any breakables at his head. I wouldn't want to ruin anything that I LIKE. Just stuff like books, shoes and rocks. *evil grin*