Wednesday, December 16, 2009

One

You woke up this morning with a fever. Your little body was so hot it made me gasp. You? You, Miles William, you smiled. (The fever is down and you are reseting comfortably.)

I find myself thinking back to this day, and the week preceding it, one year ago. My anger and frustration when I found out that you were breech. How I hard I worked to get you to flip. My inability to get you to turn into the right direction. Finally accepting the situation and scheduling your C-Section. The C-Section that never happened because you decided at the last minute you'd prefer to come out the old fashioned way. Ten days after your due date, two doses of Castor oil, three days of pre-labor, 12 hours of active labor, 13 minutes of pushing and BAM! You joined our family and we could hardly believe we'd ever lived without you.

You are the happiest baby I've ever seen or heard of. "Does he always smile and laugh like that?" people have been asking me since you were two months old. "Yes. Always," I tell them, because it's true. You are this amazingly joyous and happy baby. I often wonder what I did to get so lucky to have you in my life, my surprise baby, my special gift.

So, thank you, Miles. Thank you for picking me to be your mom. Thank you for being such a ray of sunshine. Thank your for all of the joy you've brought to my life. I love you.

14 comments:

jpooh said...

He's the cutest, sweetest turd I've ever seen. ;)

Happy Birthday, Miles!

Jan from the Sushi Bar

Kat said...

What a cutie patootie! Happy Birthday Miles!!

nutella said...

Happy Birthday, Miles!

VandyJ said...

Happy Birthday, Miles! Hope you feel better soon.

Cara said...

He is such a precious joy.
Happy birthday Miles!

Heidi said...

Where did the year go? Congratulations on surviving your first year of baby bunching!

Happy Birthday Miles!

Michele R said...

Happy First B-day and congrats to the parents for your surviving another first year. Thanks for the links to his birth story. How unique and wonderful. All I seem to hear about these days is getting induced or having a c-section on the exact "due date". Truly, his story is wonderful.

rachel said...

Happy Birthday to Miles!!!

MinTenn said...

That's so sweet.

Jenn said...

Surprise babies do indeed seem to be the best. And isn't prelabor the worst? Happy first year!

Sprite's Keeper said...

I'm tearing up over here! Happy birthday Miles! Mwah!

Mrsbear said...

Aw. What a sweet tribute. He's been full of surprises since before he was born. Hope you have an excellent birthday, Miles. Hope you feel better soon.

Ms. Esquire said...

This is such a touching post. Love it! Happy birthday to Miles!

Casey said...

Oh my gosh, he got huge! Happy birthday, kid. Hope it was a great one!